GPS Trackable Poultry Tags

Peafowl can wander and are not necessarily dead and eaten. That's why I'm interested in the tracker tags. I wouldn't invest in them for chickens.

I have experience with wildlife tracking devices and would be happy to discuss or share my experiences if you have questions. Typically the biggest challenge is battery weight. Pet trackers have had commercial success bc owners can charge batteries regularly. I think you’d need to emulate that feature. In a backyard poultry or peafowl situation, vhf and cell tower would be too difficult for users or too expensive (respectively).

I’m worried that a customer base would use it to find predator esten chickens and 100 yard range isn’t enough for that. However, I wouldn’t expect a predator to eat the transmitter. On quail and dove and even prairie chickens the backpack transmitter is usually stripped off before consuming.

I have experience with wildlife tracking devices and would be happy to discuss or share my experiences if you have questions. Typically the biggest challenge is battery weight. Pet trackers have had commercial success bc owners can charge batteries regularly. I think you’d need to emulate that feature. In a backyard poultry or peafowl situation, vhf and cell tower would be too difficult for users or too expensive (respectively).

I’m worried that a customer base would use it to find predator esten chickens and 100 yard range isn’t enough for that. However, I wouldn’t expect a predator to eat the transmitter. On quail and dove and even prairie chickens the backpack transmitter is usually stripped off before consuming.

My thinking was something on a leg band...but then, would it get caught on things and maybe hang the bird up? And yeah, battery life would be a problem, because typically peafowl are not interested in being caught. So basically, right now at least, any available trackers such as those used for wildlife would not be practical, is what you're saying?

With Birds as big as chickens I would recommend backpack style attachments. A transmitter on one leg would change a chickens balance. Our professional guidelines for wild birds is the transmitter should be no more than 3% of body weight.

I think a transmitter could be designed for chickens because you don’t need a heavy battery like you would with wildlife because you could recharge it every week. The biggest problem is how to make money doing it, but yes I think it could be done. If peafowl don’t like to be caught you’d have to use solar chargers. Possible, but you’re talking $150-200 per transmitter

Last edited:
Here is what I have come up with that I think will meet my requirements (which are doesn't bother chicken, tracks daily movement, works in rural area with no cell service, no monthly fee): Combine a Findster Duo+ (https://getfindster.com/how-it-works.html) with a modified chicken saddle (https://www.etsy.com/listing/280061...bantam-standard?ref=pla_similar_listing_top-5) that has been made smaller and has a pocket for the GPS.

The only problem is that it would need to be charged every 7 days.

Maybe if there were a version with a solar panel for charging...
Hi,
Did you try this - did it work.....I can't find my chickens nest....
Thanks

I'm absolutely looking for a GPS leg tracker. Have you designed one yer?! I free range my 2 girls but the neighbors do not want them in their yard. If I could watch where they go with an app, I could run out and shoo them off his property. I would pay at maximum $100 for a small leg GPS unit that can go about 150 yards

Not to hyjack your thread, but last night my husband and I were talking about this for our backyard chickens after I found yet again another hidden nest. He is an electrical engineer specializing in small electronics, and currently works with RFID, bluetooth, and GPS devices. Since we couldn't find anything for our needs he was talking about designing something. So the question is. What do people want in a chicken GPS tracker? We were thinking of a leg tag. How long a battery life would it need, distance or range, would detecting non motion (aka lay egging, broody, etc) be helpful for those hidden nests? Would you pay more for this feature? If we were to make an app to connect to a smart phone, what other features would you want. How much are people willing to pay for a tracking system? What problems are you trying to solve by tracking your chickens? If we can get enough interest and get the cost down we could possibly do a KickStarter this summer.
I
Not to hyjack your thread, but last night my husband and I were talking about this for our backyard chickens after I found yet again another hidden nest. He is an electrical engineer specializing in small electronics, and currently works with RFID, bluetooth, and GPS devices. Since we couldn't find anything for our needs he was talking about designing something. So the question is. What do people want in a chicken GPS tracker? We were thinking of a leg tag. How long a battery life would it need, distance or range, would detecting non motion (aka lay egging, broody, etc) be helpful for those hidden nests? Would you pay more for this feature? If we were to make an app to connect to a smart phone, what other features would you want. How much are people willing to pay for a tracking system? What problems are you trying to solve by tracking your chickens? If we can get enough interest and get the cost down we could possibly do a KickStarter this summer.
I am looking for a device just like this! I would pay 100 for 1 little leg clip with a 150 yard range GPS tracker that I can connect to an app. Does this exist yet??

Back
Top Bottom