GQF Thermostat install questions

mochicken

Songster
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
NW Missouri
I installed my GQF 3255 Thermostat yesterday and I had troubles with the wiring because my hatcher was homemade ( not by me ) and the wires were not color coded.

My old primary thermostat was a water heater thermostat and was crap for keeping temps, there were 5 to 8 degree swings so I ended up using my wafer as a primary. anyway back to the story.

The new thermostat has a green wire, a white wire, and a black wire. I would think the white is hot, the black is ground, and the green is neutral ground but by the instructions the green goes to the pilot light which is a positive and the white would go to the wafer and the black was a ground. I hooked it up that way and it didnt work, so I tried hooking the green to the black and hooking them to the ground and it worked but it was taking forever ( like 4 hours ) to reach temps and that is not normal for the hatcher, then it would not get above 98.4 degrees max with the turn dial all the way up. I do not know how high they go but I know it has to be at least 99.5

my hatcher setup has a GQF fan, a GQF pilot light, a GQF coil heating element, a wafer backup, and then I installed this as a primary. Is there some way anyone can tell me how to wire this bypassing the wafer backup all together?

Or if you have an idea of how to fix this issue I am open to suggestions, I have to put a bunch of eggs in the hatcher tomorrow and I may have to reinstall the dang water heater thermostat if I cant figure this out.

I installed my GQF 3255 Thermostat yesterday and I had troubles with the wiring because my hatcher was homemade ( not by me ) and the wires were not color coded.

My old primary thermostat was a water heater thermostat and was crap for keeping temps, there were 5 to 8 degree swings so I ended up using my wafer as a primary. anyway back to the story.

The new thermostat has a green wire, a white wire, and a black wire. I would think the white is hot, the black is ground, and the green is neutral ground but by the instructions the green goes to the pilot light which is a positive and the white would go to the wafer and the black was a ground. I hooked it up that way and it didnt work, so I tried hooking the green to the black and hooking them to the ground and it worked but it was taking forever ( like 4 hours ) to reach temps and that is not normal for the hatcher, then it would not get above 98.4 degrees max with the turn dial all the way up. I do not know how high they go but I know it has to be at least 99.5

my hatcher setup has a GQF fan, a GQF pilot light, a GQF coil heating element, a wafer backup, and then I installed this as a primary. Is there some way anyone can tell me how to wire this bypassing the wafer backup all together?

Or if you have an idea of how to fix this issue I am open to suggestions, I have to put a bunch of eggs in the hatcher tomorrow and I may have to reinstall the dang water heater thermostat if I cant figure this out.

I know that usually the black is hot, the white is neutral, and the green is ground. I am sure it's not always, but more often than not is it that way, at least it is here where I live.

Yeah I looked at the instructions again, on this thermostat the green is constant hot, the black is power supply when the thermostat is on, and the white is ground, you would think they would make it universal wiring colors so people do not hook them up backwards :( I hope it didnt hurt it the way I had it hooked up but I will try it again when I get time but for now the water heater thermostat has been replaced in there because I have eggs due to go in the hatcher today

Back
Top Bottom