Grandpa’s Feeder help

BoomChickWow

Chirping
May 20, 2023
Help!! I was excited to get to grandpa’s feeder but now I feel like it’s stressing out my hens and me! I did as instructed, kept it at level one for a week, and then moved it to Level 2. They are terrified of the movement. I tried making a ramp to it, putting a nesting pad on the treadle step, blocking off sides… they didn’t eat for 2 days. I set a couple of them on it and they ate but they won’t step in it on their own because when it moves at all they freak out! They would rather peck around in their run and fuss. It stresses me out to let them go without feed for multiple days. So I stopped trying a while and restarted the process. They were fine with stepping on the treadle to eat but now that I moved it to level 2, same thing. Any suggestions or hope? How long do I let them go without eating their feed? 2 of them just started laying within the last few weeks and I don’t want it to affect that.

Attachments

• IMG_1775.jpeg
    IMG_1775.jpeg
    292 KB · Views: 40
Are they afraid of the movement when you move it? If so, sitting with them locked in the coop and just repeatedly moving it gently until they calm down may help them become desensitized.
I wouldn't let them go too long without feed as that can affect laying and their health. Make sure they still have access to a calcium supplement.

Are they afraid of the movement when you move it? If so, sitting with them locked in the coop and just repeatedly moving it gently until they calm down may help them become desensitized.
I wouldn't let them go too long without feed as that can affect laying and their health. Make sure they still have access to a calcium supplement.
Yes i have stood and put my foot on it to keep it open and also gently moved it up and down with my foot. But maybe i need to do a little more. I spent a couple hours in there one day just holding it down, coaxing them with feed. They have oyster shells available always. Just when it moves at all they are scared. I am hoping just one will do it and the others will follow but like I said I don’t like it when they go even one day without their feed. Ugh!

I put a short piece of 2x4 on the treadle to add a little weight and stop it from closing so hard. That worked for me. After a week, they were comfortable with using it And I removed the 2x4. Now, it’s like a game with them. They seem to derive pleasure from opening it, eating a little and jumping off to hear it close. personally, I like to hear it closing all day. It lets me know how often they are going to it and feeding.

I put a short piece of 2x4 on the treadle to add a little weight and stop it from closing so hard. That worked for me. After a week, they were comfortable with using it And I removed the 2x4. Now, it’s like a game with them. They seem to derive pleasure from opening it, eating a little and jumping off to hear it close. personally, I like to hear it closing all day. It lets me know how often they are going to it and feeding.
Did you attach it with screws horizontally across the treadle? If i stand there with my foot on it I can get them to come up and eat but they are still super jumpy and don’t go on their own. So this morning I just stood there with my foot on it for 20 minutes. Then when the younger ones are eating ai have to constantly shoo away my older girls🤪

Did you attach it with screws horizontally across the treadle? If i stand there with my foot on it I can get them to come up and eat but they are still super jumpy and don’t go on their own. So this morning I just stood there with my foot on it for 20 minutes. Then when the younger ones are eating ai have to constantly shoo away my older girls🤪
Actually, I just ran a piece of duct tape around it and removed it when they started using the feeder. Mine were younger at the time and the weight helped the lighter ones open it. If you look on the Grandpa’s website, I think he used some kind of weight but I don’t remember what he used.

Here’s the link

Last edited:
I used a weight on mine also but unfortunately the other day when I put the video on at night I noticed the rats knew how to open the feeder. The weight made it light enough for the rats to open! I had to take the weight off. My 3 of my 5 chickens do not use or like the feeder. I don't know what to do.

I used a weight on mine also but unfortunately the other day when I put the video on at night I noticed the rats knew how to open the feeder. The weight made it light enough for the rats to open! I had to take the weight off. My 3 of my 5 chickens do not use or like the feeder. I don't know what to do.
I made the ramp out of corrugated plastic and that finally worked. The video is on their facebook. Just set it to where its about halfway covering the treadle and then used landscape staples to attach it to the ground at front of the ramp. I had it on the 2nd level that way for a week then when i saw them all using ramp and eating I closed the lid completely. Its been about 2 weeks and I still have the ramp. It has at least gotten them used to it opening and closing. Next step is remove the ramp and hope they just step up on the treadle

I made the ramp out of corrugated plastic and that finally worked. The video is on their facebook. Just set it to where its about halfway covering the treadle and then used landscape staples to attach it to the ground at front of the ramp. I had it on the 2nd level that way for a week then when i saw them all using ramp and eating I closed the lid completely. Its been about 2 weeks and I still have the ramp. It has at least gotten them used to it opening and closing. Next step is remove the ramp and hope they just step up on the treadle
trying to find this on their facebook page. any link?

Back
Top Bottom