GRANDPA'S FEEDER and Seramas: are Seramas heavy enough to open the feeder?

You are looking around a half pound or just over a pound I would guess. I have heard of people adding weights under the metal treadle step for tiny chickens like this. They make the lids super light weight, to the point that mice can push the lid open, so unless a bird drops down from the top of the feeder the tiny birds ought not to get heads chopped off.

All that said, tiny birds are not well suited to treadle feeders and as a large rat would weigh as much or more than a Serama, any feeder set light enough to be used wouldn't be rat proof at all. Plus their reach is so small that you can't set the treadle back.

In my opinion, I would find an alternative way to feed the tiny birds and leave the treadle feeder for the large birds.

You are looking around a half pound or just over a pound I would guess. I have heard of people adding weights under the metal treadle step for tiny chickens like this. They make the lids super light weight, to the point that mice can push the lid open, so unless a bird drops down from the top of the feeder the tiny birds ought not to get heads chopped off.

All that said, tiny birds are not well suited to treadle feeders and as a large rat would weigh as much or more than a Serama, any feeder set light enough to be used wouldn't be rat proof at all. Plus their reach is so small that you can't set the treadle back.

In my opinion, I would find an alternative way to feed the tiny birds and leave the treadle feeder for the large birds.
That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for your reply.

Back
Top Bottom