Grannick's Bitter Apple Spray = eliminate feather pecking!!!

Marbleheader

Songster
13 Years
Oct 18, 2009
Marblehead, MA
Had a bad situation about a month ago with one of our Easter Eggers was getting bullied by our five other hens (1 other EE, 2 BRs, and 2 RIRs). All of the feathers on her butt were pecked off, she was bleeding from the skin on her butt, she wouldn't go out of the coop to eat or drink much and, as a result, she was getting scrawny, which only resulted in the others going after her more. We moved her into the basement for a week so she could heel and fatten up a bit, but when we put her back in the coop, the others went after her again, and within 2 days she was as bad as she was before.

I read somewhere on here that Grannick's bitter apple spray might deter the others. It has worked unbelievably well -- not only doesn't she get picked on anymore, but she's gained weight and is as healthy as she's ever been. It's been 3 weeks, I spray her tail feathers and butt three or four times every 5 or 6 days and the others haven't touched her since.

Anyway, much thanks to this community for suggesting such easy and simple fixes to tough problems.

After reading the Grannick's Bitter Apple Spray ingredient label (which contains alcohol) I went with an off brand that did not contain alcohol. The alcohol would sting my chickens red bottoms quite a bit, I would imagine. I just put it on their feathers yesterday, hopefully it works.

After reading the Grannick's Bitter Apple Spray ingredient label (which contains alcohol) I went with an off brand that did not contain alcohol. The alcohol would sting my chickens red bottoms quite a bit, I would imagine. I just put it on their feathers yesterday, hopefully it works.
What was the item that you purchased and how is it working? I have a hen who picks on herself and I've tried a number of things - sulphur for mites, Pick-No-More, extra protein, Nu-Stock, garlic spray. The Pick-No-More and Nu-Stock work at deterring her but I hate to keep either one on her constantly. Chicken aprons make her act as if she's got a banshee on her back. I'm leaning toward Prozac and/or a chicken whisperer.

Since someone restarted this.

I too am curious how this works,
Do they not like the smell and stay away from it?
I think that it's both the smell and taste which keeps other chickens from pecking. My self-picking hen doesn't like the taste but keeps pecking anyway.

I know this is an old post but I think this needs attention. I just found this from a Google search because my rooster is plucking the head feathers off my hens head trying to stabilize himself. I want him to grab the stronger neck feathers like he's supposed to. I'm going to try this

Back
Top Bottom