grannys gone and done it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same. These have been setting forever. Maybe I'll just drop chicks out there after I let everyone else out. See if anyone jumps down to tend them.
wink.png

think your supposed to put them under the hen .

After a couple of hours letting her get used to them, I moved Buster and babies out into a broody cage in the run so the mob can see but not touch.

I put the chicks in and then put Buster in and she went straight over and sat on them!
smile.png

The other girls were anxious to come in the run. I thought they wanted to see the chicks.

Nope. they were just very thirsty. Forgot that locking them out to give Buster and chicks some bonding time also meant that they could get to their water!

Quote: Same. These have been setting forever. Maybe I'll just drop chicks out there after I let everyone else out. See if anyone jumps down to tend them.
wink.png

These chicks are at least 5 days old. I'd always heard you need day old hatchlings for it to work, but Buster wasn't fussy. I've heard of other hens taking even older chicks, so I think it has a lot to do with the individual hen.

I'm sooo happy! No brooder or heating to worry about. No trouble introducing them. Buster can do all the work! Easy peasy. Hope she's a good mom!
fl.gif

thats all I had today was a cup of broth and water.

Wishing, I only mention this because I dont know. The holes in the cage are big enough for the babies to get out and wander out . will something get them or how do you keep them in ?

Twist, I bet your glad your done !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom