(GRAPHIC) A word of caution on breeding your pets.

RosemaryDuck

Crowing
Dec 15, 2020
Florida
Hi all. Coming onto the forum today with a pretty graphic story as a tale of caution.

A dog came into the clinic today that had previously been pregnant. She 'miscarried' (as the owner said). Unfortunately this was not true at all.

She had several fully formed puppies that died inside of her. The owner allowed her to stay like this for over 3 months. The puppies were rotting inside of her for 3 months. Her body attempted to absorb the puppies but could not. She had one of the most extreme cases of pyometra I've ever seen.

When the surgeon opened her up, several decaying puppies had attached to vital organs. Chunks of bone were stuck to her liver. They could not be removed.

Please, I beg you all. Breed responsibly or not at all. Picture below is graphic. The image below is of her uterus, which was filled completely with pus.

Attachments

• output_image1635546208952~2.jpg
    output_image1635546208952~2.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 31
Three months? I might believe the owner didn’t realize there was no movement from the puppies. But to not know enough to realize she was way past normal gestation, I can’t fathom.

I hope the poor girl pulls through.
Unfortunately it's more common then you'd think. This isn't even the first time I've seen something like this. Not to this extent, but very similar cases. I really hope she pulls through too.

Wow, surprised euthanasia wasn't on the menu or is the owner in denial that she likely won't pull through?

It feels like so many people jump into potentially risky pet and livestock situations without realising the level of risk involved and not knowing what to do or understanding how to tell when things go wrong and the animal unnecessary suffers in the end.

I can't imagine 'bone growing into organs' can end well.

Unfortunately it's more common then you'd think. This isn't even the first time I've seen something like this. Not to this extent, but very similar cases. I really hope she pulls through too.
I probably shouldn’t criticize owners because all my warm-blooded kids “get their guts ripped out” (spayed/neutered) at the earliest opportunity.

I only bred my snakes for two years because rehoming the non-keepers got too difficult. Chickens, I can just eat the eggs if I don’t want babies.

Breeding and raising young of any species is a ton of responsibility. I’m not old enough to be that responsible yet. ... maybe when I’m 75....

Back
Top Bottom