**Graphic** Help! Need to know what killed my chicken

bigD Chicken

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2023
I have been free ranging my chickens in the past months with no problem. Today one of my girls was killed. It happened during the day between 2-5pm when I was not home. Feathers were scattered and neck was eaten leaving only bones. I am totally new to this and I am not sure what would eat my chicken like that. Could it be cat or fox? Maybe hawk? Should I still consider free ranging anymore or should I keep my girls in the run moving forward?

Attachments

• 1B3824B7-C2FC-4D1E-B963-1FBAC50D9C83.jpeg
    1B3824B7-C2FC-4D1E-B963-1FBAC50D9C83.jpeg
    422.3 KB · Views: 106
  • 35BCF575-A6DD-4D5D-B272-EE55DAE2E6E3.jpeg
    35BCF575-A6DD-4D5D-B272-EE55DAE2E6E3.jpeg
    756.7 KB · Views: 52
I'm so sorry for your loss.

My first guess would be hawk. A fox would likely have carried her away, I would think. I have done way too much research after my own predator scare recently, and many of the sources that I looked at said that hawks will eat the neck and upper body of a chicken.

There is always some element of risk to free ranging, unfortunately. Only you can decide what amount of risk you are comfortable with.

Not a hawk! A small mammal yes. A domestic cat, raccoon, small dog or opossum perhaps. A hawk would not gnaw at the neck! Typically several distinct scatterings of feathers then the carcass given time to finish leaves only the wings and perhaps the feet! Very neat butchers, If scared off they will have cleanly removed and eaten the neck completely gone, before eating the rest and then into the body cavity at the neck and the breast and consume bones and all.

Looks exactly like the damage from the hawks that were taking my birds. It always ticked me off because they would only eat the head. i understand I’m in nature and I’m essentially offering the hawks a buffet, but at least eat the whole bird! Don’t know where you are, but the broad wing, sharp shinned, and Cooper’s are smaller and tend to do this, anecdotally.

I have never witnessed a hawk kill with the neck left and the meat knawed on but intact as was the head and neck in this case. If not scared off, the head and neck bones and all would be gone at least and no signs of gnawing of the meat! Hawks are neat and efficient butchers unlike mammals, eat most all the other birds bones and all usually, and leave pellets of the undigestible at their roost/nest site. Obvious mammal attack, likely a coon, opossum, domestic cat or similar small predator. Best wishes for you preventing more losses.

Back
Top Bottom