(Graphic) Hen bleeding from vent, please help!

riverswan

In the Brooder
Oct 29, 2015
Northern Manitoba, Canada
Last night I noticed some blood by this hen's vent, hens had picked at her so I thought it from this and I cleaned it, put some bagbalm on it and put her by herself. Today I just soaked her bottom in warm water to clean it off and reapplied ointment when I could see that she is actually bleeding from her vent. The top of the vent is bulging some. Please help.

Oh the poor thing!
I think you are doing everything right. Keep it clean and I'm sure the warm soak helped it feel better. Keep her by herself. If any chicken sees that blood they will attack it repeatedly. Can you feel an egg or anything blocking her vent? Did she poop today?

It's hard to say if the vent was damaged by pecking, or if there was a prolapse of the vent that they pecked until it bled. A prolapse is where the internal red tissue is protruding from the vent, due to straining or being egg bound. A warm epsom salts bath daily may help the tissue to heal. Apply plain Neosporin ointment to the vent area. If you see prolapse tissue from the vent, then hemorrhoid cream or honey is best applied and the tissue should be pushed back inside.

Thanks for your responses. Today I gave her another warm bath with epsom salts then applied Polysporin (drugstore doesn't sell Neosporin). There wasn't any bleeding today and it is looking a little better now. Her pooping is fine and she had an egg today so I am pretty sure it is the vent that is damaged from pecking. I also thought maybe the rooster was being too rough so the hens are now off limits, but I will continue to keep this hen separated for a few more days. It sure scared me yesterday though when it looked like internal bleeding from the vent.

Back
Top Bottom