GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

I work in a veterinary hospital in sacramento and not single dvm will attempt this for me. I personally cant do it. On the hunt for someone who will...

If I had to guess I would bet b/c a vet wouldn't do the procedure w/o anesthesia of some kind so they would have a very high mortality rate.
I figured it was something like that Kassaundra, but I was just hoping the original poster would clarify it. The other possibility that I thought was very plausible is that they have no training in doing it.

Okay I have a couple questions. They may have been answered before but just didn't see it. What is a wind puff? And has anyone tried this on turkeys and if so does it have the same type of results?

Wind puffs are when air leaks into the tissues under the skin, it gets trapped and the bird will look like a balloon if it is a big puff and swollen if it is a small puff. When it happens you need to release the air by opening the skin. If you haven't sutured you can make a quick hole (tip of the scalpel or needle) in the same insiscion site as the procedure or you can make one anywhere the air is trapped. The air will woosh out but you may need to help it in some of the further out pockets (like if it got really big and down into the legs, just gentle pressure to move the air pocket towards the hole.

I do not know about turkeys, but would think it would work the same, I don't know about the anatomy of the turkey as to where exactly to locate the testes or landmarks on the outside, but would start in a similar location as the roo'let.

Back
Top Bottom