GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

So I TRIED to caponize 2 cocks. With the first one I chickened out after he started to bleed a little(1 testicle removed). Surviver. The second had been eating poop and had the Patrick Henry attitude so I nicked the main artery and he died.

Lessons learned and things needed: 1 put the cage on blocks so that they cannot eat their own poop. 2 make a loopdydo thingy. 3. get a better rib spreader. 4 Make everyone in the family aware that the cocks are NOT to get any food. 5. remember to take away the water.

Q. Would it hurt to go back in and get the second testicle on the first one?

Thanks MK

Last edited:
jbkirk- Remember when a bird dies on the table, continue your learning. Use cotton or paper towels to absorb the blood, and continue the procedure. Turn the bird over and try the other. One other thing to try with a flighty bird is to cover the head with a dark cloth to calm them down. Try again another day.

jbkirk- Remember when a bird dies on the table, continue your learning. Use cotton or paper towels to absorb the blood, and continue the procedure. Turn the bird over and try the other. One other thing to try with a flighty bird is to cover the head with a dark cloth to calm them down. Try again another day.

I deffanitly will try again when I get a new rib spreader and make that loopdydo thingy.
smile.png

In case it hasn't already been discussed on BYC, Google Books is an excellent source for free PDF downloads of old out of print books on any subject as well as government and university reports. For example, when I first started learning about capons, I downloaded and read the following free full PDF copies from Google Books. Just click on the title below and it will take you to the Google Books page for that publication. Alternatively you can search for these titles on Google Books. Since some of the information I've seen in posts on the subject came from these books, I thought everyone already knew this.

Near the top of the page, there are reading tools including magnifiers, page display option icons, "Write a review", "Front Cover", and a gear icon. Click the drop down arrow for the gear icon and select download PDF.

Pilling, "Directions for Caponizing", 1910
Dow, "Capons and Caponizing", 1890
Beuoy, "Capon Gold", 1926
Caponizing from Tricks of the Poultry Trade 1909
Greiner, "Capons for Profit", 1903

Here are some more.
The website "http://www.azurehenfruit.com/html/capons_and_caponizing.html" has interesting historical information in a nice presentation with full PDF downloads of some materials. Here are a couple from this site.
Beuoy, "Capons Up To Date", 1940
Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and Food, "Capons", July 1978

And some more.
Sirri, "Influence of partial and complete caponization on chicken meat quality." (see "Full Text (PDF) Free" link on the right hand side)
Rikimaru, "An efficient method of early caponization in slow-growing meat-type chickens"
University of Florida, "Capon", 2000

There are others, just spend a few minutes with Google.
welcome-byc.gif
What a find!!!!! I love google/books and have over 40 old full size books on chickens, poultry, caponizing and anything to do with birds.
lau.gif

Edited for content: Kassaundra, for the first time I might have a chance to try a few birds. I have 35+ moving birds in the 'bator and surely a few will be males. Bahahahahahha

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
What a find!!!!! I love google/books and have over 40 old full size books on chickens, poultry, caponizing and anything to do with birds.
lau.gif

Edited for content: Kassaundra, for the first time I might have a chance to try a few birds. I have 35+ moving birds in the 'bator and surely a few will be males. Bahahahahahha
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom