GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize

Keep trying @Deerfield Acres . I admire those of you that give this a shot without the hands on instruction!

Congrats @dfr1973
Thanks. Y'all should probably keep in mind that no one taught me how to slaughter my own birds - I learned through a graphic and instructive post here on BYC.

This morning's caponizing was pre-empted when my neighbors came over and said the feed mill closed at noon, so we had to go this morning because the husband needs the truck for work during the week. The feed mill is about a two hour drive, and while my neighbors' English is still better than my Spanish, that isn't exactly a high bar to step over!
lol.png
Now I know where it is, and will drive next time. It's a good enough price difference to be worth the drive if you get a bunch, which I did. So, the last four Ideal GLW cockerels have until Tuesday to enjoy their intactness.

I had old school instruction, it jaded me on butcher until I did my research and found a way that worked for me and the birds.

I am going to have four boys ready for Wed. They are getting big fast, at 11 weeks, and one of them I'm STILL not sure is a male

Here's my report on caponizing the White Leghorn rooster today.

He did seem to move around more that the others. I use a pair of square plastic bottles that alcohol comes in for traction weights. It makes it easy to adjust the weight for the bird. I tie a cords around the bottle necks and loop the other ends around the wings and feet and let the weights hang off of my table. For the first one I did, a 5 week old EE, I filled the bottles 1/4 full or only about 1/2 pound and I was concerned that it stretched him out too much. He couldn't move at all. The older EE, allegedly 8 weeks, probably much older, took a full bottle and it held him securely. I also used a full bottle for the WL today and it held o.k. but he was able to move a bit.

I paid more attention to how the testicle was attached and yes it was attached all along one side. I believe at least one of the other birds was similarly attached but the prior ones pulled free relatively easily. With the WL today, I got the snare around one end and worked it around until it went over the other end. I cinched it down and it gathered the connective tissue underneath. The difficulty was that as I tried to work it free it was not coming easily. Based on my earlier successes I was probably overly confident and pulled too aggressively and did not twist as I did with the others which I believe helps with bleeders. I did both sides and both came out intact. I think it would have been better if he had been younger. He is recovering now.

BTW, the testes were about 20-22 mm long.

Wooohooo, my retractor came today! (Weitlander 4"). I am going to start the process tonight with the obnoxious cock. I will see how I do before I attempt my gentle sweet guy. When I told my husband I was going to cage my cock tonight, well, he turned quite pale and said, "whaaaaat?", LOL!!! His only involvement with the chickens is going to the feed store for me.
Wish me luck! I've printed out and laminated the pictures from the beginning of this thread (?) so I will have them up where I can see them as I go. Of course I am 36 - 48 hrs from caponizing him. Ok, step one, catch cockerel…
Rose

Neuport-
1. Ditch the bottles and learn to use spring clamps to secure the cords to your work surface. Yes the bird needs to be stretched out to prevent the bird jerking about (that will prevent accidental cutting while inside)
2. Crimping and twisting of the connective tissue starts the coagulating of blood vessels just prior to pulling up (tearing away) of the testes.

I forgot to ask, how does everyone sterilize their instruments? I'm sorry if this has already been asked & answered, I haven't read every page
1f61e.png
. I was thinking about boiling them as I don't have access to, or own an autoclave.
Thank you,
Rose

Sterilize- Other than washing the tools after doing a batch of birds, or wiping down with alchohol between birds I do nothing. The very nature of the theatre (garage, shed, barn) negates any chance of a sterile environment

Oh I know the environment isn't sterile but I still feel better steaming the tools when finished and just before use for the whole batch of birds not between birds though.

Back
Top Bottom