Grasshoppers Are The Ultimate Treat

Chicken Delight

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 4, 2010
Utah
I like to give the ladies a treat every day, but I have found nothing that gets them as excited as grasshoppers. Sure they wander the yard and find their own, but not many left in that area. Today I caught about 20 at the neighbors and dumped them in the run live. I wish I had the video camera. Those grasshoppers did not have a chance.
thumbsup.gif

Watching the carnage, it reminded me of a TV show which was making the case for chickens being the closest thing on the Earth to ancient dinosaurs. A bunch of T-Rex wandering the run eating their hapless prey.

Is there anything else that makes your chickens go crazy like this?

Quote:
My chickens go carnivore crazy for the big blaptica dubia roaches I raise for them. They love mealworms too, but the roaches are bigger so they have to, how should I say it delicately, reduce the big roaches to a more manageable size for ingestion. It seems to bring out the vicious predator side of them! You guys obviously have chickens, so you know what I'm talking about.

Crickets too!!
thumbsup.gif

I leave a tarp out on the ground all year round and we live in the woods kindah...

When I gwet home, Il et the girls out and we raaaaace over to the tarp.......mucho excitement!!!
wee.gif

I quicklly grab one end and run to the other side exposing all the crickets that thought they found a safe haven.....sometimes we only get 2-3 but other times we get 15-25 and my 5 girls go bonkers!!!! chasing them down n gobbling them up!!

Its like watching a real live game of Pacman!

All you need is a small tarp....any tarp would do really.

That's funny. I go to our local pet store in the winter and BUY crickets for my girls about once a week. I feel bad that they don't find any good "buggies" in the winter here since this is Wisconsin.

One of the daughters tossed a single jumbo marshmallow in the run.

CHICKEN RUGBY!

a few of the smaller hens actually stood on the back of the of the hen holding the marshmallow in an attempt to take it from them.

I think that meal worms are the favorites of my chickens, but they free range all day so no tellin what they eat. But when they come in it's meal worms please. Now the ducks favorite are earth worms and slugs yuck!

When do you start giving them live bugs? My chicks are 3 days and it's really funny to watch them chase and jump for flies. Tis the fly season around here! One actually caught and ate one today.

We gave ours grasshoppers from our yard at about 2-3 days old. I was amazed at how fast they caught them (upon sight nearly) and knew JUST what to do! Grasshopper are the seemingly best treat I've seen them go nutty for.

Back
Top Bottom