gravel run

Pea gravel works like a charm on wet surfaces. If you can get red clover seed, toss it on the outside gravel and let it take root. The root system works to help bind the gravel together and makes for great chicken forage.

Gravel will work well inside a coop. Use a good layer of straw over it and all is well.

That sounds like the voice of experience, kstaven. My thought was to continually rake the pea gravel to allow proper drainage, but I see what you are saying about keeping it together and the clover seeds won't be a problem. Straw is limited here as not much barley is grown so far north, but I'm sure I can get something for the coop.

many thanks to all for you advice

I like the idea of pean gravel, I don't have it for my birds but I use it in my yard close to the house... to keep the mud away. The best way for you to use it with chickens would be to get some boards at least 10in/25cm wide to frame in the perimeter of the run. Lay landscaper's fabric, hardware clothe or some other porous material under the boards and fill this with at least 4in/10cm of pea gravel. The depth should allow for good drainage and room for the birds to scratch and if they dig too deep - the lining should prevent the unwanted mixture of dirt/mud from getting into the run as well as preventing predators form entering. I hope this helps.

thanks Picco

That is exactly what I plan to do, in addition though I have put in some aggregate first then the ground cover material then the pea gravel. I put in the aggregate to raise it up from the ground level even more and the wood around the perimeter is 20cm high. I'm also thinking if it does become too muddy even with all of this I would be able to put boards on top of the pea gravel with a few holes frilled though them and then cover the boards with straw or wood shaving which I can then remove to the compost bin as required and put down more. Hopefully though the gravel run will do the job. I appreciate your helpful comments though as it is always great to hear that what I was planning to do is shared by someone else.
smile.png

Bovrilheid

I'm confused with the conflicting advice given, clearly I am trying to do the best for the birds, but I am getting a bit lost on this issue, as all of you are clearly giving your opinions for a welfare point of view, which I appreciate but I'm now not sure about the whole project as the last thing I want to be is to be cruel to the birds.

I have a pea gravel walkway and use it in my gardens for edging, etc. At least from my supplier, it is not rough or sharp and I cannot imagine it as a problem for bird's feet. I occasionally walk on it barefoot in the summertime to get the mail, etc, and my squishy people feet don't have any problems with it.

The clover idea is nice- plant cover will promote drainage and provide healthy snacks for your birds.

It is good to think about these things, but don't overthink it. You will be treating your chickens like queens in comparison to 99% of commercial chicken and egg farming operations- remember that!

-MTchick

Maybe pea gravel is different in different parts of the country or you can get different grades, but I can't walk barefoot on the pea gravel that is on the walkway to my house.

Bovrilheid,
MTchick is right. Don't overthink the process. Check out what is available in your area and go from there. Personally, I still like sand in my runs, but that may not be practical or an option where you are.

Did you contact Julia who is also from the Shetlands? She can tell you what works for her too.

I have always heard to be careful letting your fowl run on gravel, pokey pieces can hurt their feet especially if they are flying up and down on it, like off a roost etc. A couple inches of fine sand over the gravel might be a good investment. A chicken getting bumblefoot is no fun, and the softer sand will still provide for drainage through to the gravel, as well as give them a ready supply of grit. Good luck in whatever you decide.

I think a photo here would be helpful.

peagravel.jpg

This is the pea gravel that I am talking about. It's defined this way: "Pea gravel consists of small, smooth, rounded stones used to create aggregate concrete surfaces."
So it's just like peas (the vegetable) but it's a type of stone (gravel) that's how you get the name 'pea gravel' Lol.
tongue.png
It's very comfortable to walk on and has excellent drainage.

With the amount of time and thought you are putting into having and caring for chickens bovrilheid, I have no doubt you will be an excellent chicken keeper, and I know you will really enjoy having them as they are so much fun!
wink.png

As a side note this is the kind of rock that you can find along the north shore of Lake Superior which is a favorite vacation spot for me and I can say with much experience that it is very nice to walk on barefoot.
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom