Great Quail Experiment Part 1: The Build

philipmadamson

In the Brooder
May 16, 2018
I will shortly be starting to raise my first animals...quail! I have done a ton of research and lots of planning, probably too much!
I would like to document everything here and get opinions and thoughts as I go down this journey.

This is part 1: the build.
I decided on an above ground wire bottom coop. It measures 30"x93" with a 6" egg collection tray. It is split in half. On the left side I have two sections, each with a protected area and an open area for breeders. I plan on having a male in each and use it for eggs for meat birds (still don't have anywhere for them to grow out). On the right side I have a section for female layers. This will be solely for eating eggs. It is about 30"x47" with a split area for protection and an open area.

L8o019CgT6endIwnIvStOQ.jpg

I used 1/2" for the bottom

asz%E5JfQw+E4eIOrWFifQ.jpg

I used 1/4 for the sides, front, back, and top. The dividers inside are plywood and 1/2 x 1 wire.

TQGr2Dq3T5aas5aqzqELnw.jpg

I have it under a tree, it gets morning sun and afternoon shade

ZmID5T43S7qEnD1OLhIj8w.jpg

This is the egg catch with hinged cover. It also has a long 1x3 that slips down across (longways) the top of the egg catch lid for locking the doors.

Still have to put roof on and get water and feed set up and sand trays for the enclosed sections. That will be part 2...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom