green poo, grumpy hen

Xtineart

Chirping
5 Years
May 3, 2014
I'm really worried about my betsy girl. We've had severe storms and well below freezing temperatures here over the past couple of weeks and it's really upset my girls, I'm taking them into the house for a while during the day so they can get some excercise and some warm dry time, and upping the feed/drink/cuddle levels.

Egg production has dropped but I've expected that but my bets seems to have started a sever moult, leaving so many feathers around I thought a fox had got her. She's also doing really runny droppings with a lot of green colour (I think bile maybe) and a lot of blood/tissue in them which is so not like her at all, she normally poops perfect billiard ball droppings. She is taking water and a little food though she is usually fussy but still making sure she gets her hand-fed treats, I'm not sure she is eating as much as she should be, but it's hard to watch her any closer.

She is in a right grumpy mood and doesnt want to cuddle much but I've lifted her and had a feel at her belly etc and she feels normal to me, I will check her crop in the morning.

She laid one egg this week (i think) a very long pointy white weak shelled thing which again is really out of character for her

I'm worried. She's my oldest hen and secretly my favourite.

the they look OK from the guide but they are not at all normal for her. does th at make sense? I haven't worked them for a couple of months so will try to give them some treatment and may phone the vet to see about some coccidiosis treatment if she looks to get any worse.

is that something available in the UK? her droppings were a bit better today but still gritty and runnier than they should be. She seems so sad, and just sat on my doorstep today all hunched up and pitiful looking while the other girls free ranged. she ate her treats but I'm not sure how much normal feed she took on. I let her snuggle down in my lap for a while over lunch as it's so cold and snowy outside. I wonder if it's possible for chickens to feel depressed?

just checked it's a vet prescription only medicine over here. I'll call the vet tomorrow. I feel so sorry for my girl I want to bring her inside to sleep in my bed tonight away from the cold and the dark. poor wee beastie.

Back
Top Bottom