Green runny poo, severe weight loss....

2BD4C10C

Songster
7 Years
Jun 30, 2015
East TN
I have a 9 week old Black Australorp pullet who was fine yesterday but today I found her hiding in a nest box fluffed up. I picked her up and noticed she had an empty crop and was very skinny. She is drinking a lot of water but only a tiny bit of food. She wont get up and walk, and looks pale and miserable.

I recently moved her and 30 other chicks into the enclosure with my grown hens. She had been going out and scratching, eating and having a good time.

The poo is bright green and watery. I have her inside in a dog crate now with water and food. Gave her Nutradrench and started her on Corrid just in case. She has no mites or injuries that I can see.

Any idea what might be wrong with her?

I have a 9 week old Black Australorp pullet who was fine yesterday but today I found her hiding in a nest box fluffed up. I picked her up and noticed she had an empty crop and was very skinny. She is drinking a lot of water but only a tiny bit of food. She wont get up and walk, and looks pale and miserable.

I recently moved her and 30 other chicks into the enclosure with my grown hens. She had been going out and scratching, eating and having a good time.

The poo is bright green and watery. I have her inside in a dog crate now with water and food. Gave her Nutradrench and started her on Corrid just in case. She has no mites or injuries that I can see.

Any idea what might be wrong with her?
How large of an enclosure do you have?
What are you feeding?

To find a 9wk old in the nesting box, it sounds like she is hiding. Is she being kept from food?

A fluffed up appearance would make me think she might have Coccidiosis, especially since she has recently been introduced to other chickens, their poop and soil.

Treating with Corid is a good move. Make sure the Corid water is the only water available to her. Stop the Nutri-Drench until you finish the 5-7day course of Corid, then give vitamins and some probiotics.

Watch to see that she is eating well, green poop can be an indication that she is not eating - offer wet chick starter and some chopped egg or tuna for extra protein.

fwiw Corid dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon.
Give for 5-7 days.

How large of an enclosure do you have?
What are you feeding?

To find a 9wk old in the nesting box, it sounds like she is hiding. Is she being kept from food?

A fluffed up appearance would make me think she might have Coccidiosis, especially since she has recently been introduced to other chickens, their poop and soil.

Treating with Corid is a good move. Make sure the Corid water is the only water available to her. Stop the Nutri-Drench until you finish the 5-7day course of Corid, then give vitamins and some probiotics.

Watch to see that she is eating well, green poop can be an indication that she is not eating - offer wet chick starter and some chopped egg or tuna for extra protein.

fwiw Corid dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon.
Give for 5-7 days.
Their area is well over 20,000 square feet
Feeding Chick Starter Grower, Scratch and layer crumbles along with cat food.

As of this morning she wont eat or drink. Gave water with corrid via syringe and made her some eggs with moistened chick food. She is sitting there with her eyes shut, only opened when I gave the water. Her crop is empty. Not sure what else to do but wait and see.

All the other chicks are healthy and a good weight.

Last edited:
Their area is well over 20,000 square feet
Feeding Chick Starter Grower, Scratch and layer crumbles along with cat food.

As of this morning she wont eat or drink. Gave water with corrid via syringe and made her some eggs with moistened chick food. She is sitting there with her eyes shut, only opened when I gave the water. Her crop is empty. Not sure what else to do but wait and see.

All the other chicks are healthy and a good weight.
That's a nice large area!

I'm sorry she is not improving, do the best you can to keep her hydrated with the Corid water.

fwiw - you may want to consider feeding an all flock/flock raiser type feed since you have a "mixed flock" (different ages together). Layer feed is formulated for actively laying hens and provides extra calcium which is not need for growing chicks. Usually it has less protein than what is found in chick starter/flock raiser formulas as well. Chicks need the extra protein as well. Just provide oysters shell free choice for your laying hens.

Just my thoughts.

Thank you for the food suggestion. I have added chicks before to my flick but didnt have this many chickens.

She was drinking when I left and her eyes were open so I havnt given up all hope yet. She is just so under weight now :(

Thank you for the food suggestion. I have added chicks before to my flick but didnt have this many chickens.

She was drinking when I left and her eyes were open so I havnt given up all hope yet. She is just so under weight now
sad.png
If you haven't done so, you may want to separate her for extra care. Offer chick starter along with some hard boiled egg or tuna. Hopefully this will give her a boost. Once she is done with the round of Corid, then offer poultry vitamins - Nutri-Drench is good - you can add that to her water or direct dose her. Stir a little yogurt into her feed as well.

I hope she starts to improve.

Keep us posted.

I would start "force" feeding her. See the thread for Medicating & Feeding Sick hens. Sounds like a good recipe for getting food immediately in her.

She is now coughing not sure if she asperated water or has an upper resp. thing. Best antibiotic??

It looks like she regurgitated water.

She is now coughing not sure if she asperated water or has an upper resp. thing. Best antibiotic??

It looks like she regurgitated water.

If she aspirated some water, time will tell if it continues to cause problems. Sometimes they will be fine, other times they can develop air sac pneumonia.

Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom