Green thumb is itching, anyone else?

well I'm finally done after two days of work on my oldest perennial garden on the East side of my house. Man was it in bad shape between the chickens and my new raised beds I really neglected it for the past several years. Moved a few things around and added a patch of campanula from my other garden. That's one of my new favorite flowers lately . Of course one of my chickens helped dig up another large patch while I was in the front yard doing the transplant. They are soooo... helpful.Wast to get my cold weather greens in maybe Wed.I had great luck with mustard,chard,kale etc. HAPPY GARDENING

If I ever get this hoop coop done I might get to the gardening. I've plenty of seeds but will need to finish the fencing on the back garden or the chickens will just dig everything out again.

queen - pics are always appreciated. I think I should just stick my camera in my pocket each day.
big_smile.png

I am going to be busy tomorrow!

The gardener left me a big box of society garlic, they are getting split up and put all around my winter garden and all the roses. Plus I have a flat full of seedlings we purchased for the main garden. Mostly peppers and a few tomatoes that we planned on buying not starting from seed.

Cool, I won't be able to be in the garden for several days maybe longer, we are having a massive rain / storm event going through our area, it is supose to keep it up for a couple of days, then no telling how long until things dry enough to play in the dirt again.

You are probably getting our rain storm, we got just under 2" from it, but all the plants I want to put in, I can reach easy from our "walk ways" in the garden

You are probably getting our rain storm, we got just under 2" from it, but all the plants I want to put in, I can reach easy from our "walk ways" in the garden

Some parts of the state have recieved 4 inches and it's still coming. I don't know how much we have got, but I know it's not that much yet.

One thing about raised beds is you can do one at a time. Not to much work except raking it up and planting the seeds. Then do another the next day.

Since I have the chickens in the back lot they've been working between the beds. I use those white plastic fencing things on some beds and they keep rabbits out and the chickens too if it's something they don't like like cabbage.

The inner garden I just use my weed whacker to go around and clean things up, but then I've probably mentioned that.

Well take care and have a nice day.

Rancher

I have to shoot some new photos, but our big garden is on a hillside slope and due to the size and budget, we just did down and then add either the old old telephone pole sections or railroad ties for the raised side of the terrace. I hope in the future, we can pick one bed and do a better wall, hopefully with some local smaller sandstone rocks. The beds are closer to 6 feet wide, would be better at 4 so we could reach across, but that will happen as we can fix them up. But we do have set 27" wide walks between the beds and very few weeds. I plan on getting a couple of loads of good shredded/chipped trees from a friend of mines tree company. He is going to pick the loads he knows will be best in the garden. A good layer of that will also help to choke any weed that survives. Raised beds sure would be easier on the back!

When I first did my garden I bought shaving and dumped those but they've gotten to expensive to do that now. I suppose I could use them but money is to tight. I have some beds on the side of a slope and I just put some black garden cloth down the side to keep the soil in. Then pounded in some stakes to hold them in place. I tried some lengths of PC pipe so I could stick stakes in them but it didn't work out so well. Slugs liked to hide in there.

I now dust in the dry times with DE and that seemed to help with the slugs. That and the chickens.

I keep the bugs down with DDT keep with weeds down with straight diesel fuel ... Wait a second .... oh ya, I stopped doing that in 1950. Now I use geneically modified cyborg robots to keep the weeds and bugs down while processing my soylent green... Wait a second ... oh ya, that hasn't happened yet. What were we talking about ...

Back
Top Bottom