Greeting and salutations

Rounsville83

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2020
Upstate NY
First off a little history, I served 5 years in the navy doing construction, mostly carpentry and masonry. Upon getting out, I decided to get a degree in carpentry as it was the logical next step. Ever Since I was little I've had a fascination with the idea of being self sufficient and self sustainable, so a year into my college I shifted gears and changed majors to Agriculture Technologies. Fast forward a little bit, and I acquired the means to build myself a tiny house and direct myself towards the goal of self sustainability. Before I could finish the tiny house project, had some family medical issues that arose grinding everything to a halt. Met my wife and had a beautiful daughter, so the tiny house option was now out the window. When my wife got pregnant again we decided to move back home and try to be self sustainable as much as we could so that we could both be around for the kids. This was August 2019... So we started out with some old used wire fencing and some cages and (an over zealous mother) and laid out a small run, with a used coop from a neighbor.

We started out with roughly 50 chickens and 12 ducks and 3 rabbits. However had some predator and environmental issues that arose this winter hitting negative temps which reduced our flock quickly to 35 chickens and 8 ducks and 3 rabbits.

As of today 5/10/20
We have 34 chickens, 5 adult ducks and 11 ducklings, 5 adult rabbits and 9 baby kits

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? Yes and no. I helped my grandparents with theirs, and I had to deal with the college farm birds. But this is MY first flock.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
Currently 34 but a good portion of them are roosters who will be attending freezer camp soon.

(3) What breeds do you have?
I wish I knew, my wife and mother bought all the baby chicks and didn't think to write them down.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Fresh eggs, and knowing that my birds are not shot full of hormones or other chemicals.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I enjoy learning new skills, currently looking into blacksmithing.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Currently I have my beautiful wife, our 2 yr old daughter, and 6 month old son... On our little starter homestead we have the animals above plus 6 cats, 2 lambs, and waiting on the delivery of 2 calves and 3 piglets. Currently the wife and I are both stay at home parents, who also look after and take care of my disabled step father.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I stumbled across the site months and months ago because I had questions about one of my ducks, but I didn't join until recently when I had the hairbrained idea to attempt using my dehydrator as an incubator.

Attachments

• Big Red.jpg
    Big Red.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Ducks.jpg
    Ducks.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Fergus and dingwall.jpg
    Fergus and dingwall.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Rabbits.jpg
    Rabbits.jpg