Greetings and Salutations

Amphitecna

Chirping
Aug 7, 2023
France- 29
Hello all,

I've been a recent lurker on this forum, trying to learn everything I could before our ladies arrived last weekend. We are absolute, utter newbies to chickens. My husband built our run, but we have a commercial henhouse inside. He wanted to make sure they had enough space so it's a big one, for a current population of 4.

We have two light Sussex, and two Cendrée, all from a local breeder. Oh and we are located in Brittany, France, but I'm an American and well, like speaking English. I wanted Sussex because they're reported to be so friendly and good company. The Cendrée were so pretty we couldn't resist.

Our city is smallish, but we are in an increasingly urban setting. Lucky enough to have 700 m2 for our yard though. Once the ladies finish getting used to their new environment, they will be free ranging. I am looking forward to having company as I garden.

So far I've been thoroughly enjoying the bed-time show- I never would have predicted that watching chickens put themselves to bed would be so entertaining.

They've not yet been here a week, and are about 5 months old. Not laying anything yet, but given the upheaval they've been through, and the frequent attention they are showered with, I'm not surprised.

I do have a few questions (well, a lot really, but I'll limit myself for the time being), and I suspect they've already been asked and answered ad nauseum here. So if there are any particular threads I should check out, please point me to them.

1- is it possible they don't really know how to be chickens yet? The breeder had them inside a barn in large pens, split up by size- the Sussex were in the same pen as the Cendrée and Coucou de Rennes -other birds/breeds were in other pens. There were no perches- just some sort of hay-like floor covering and their food/water containers.

My birds spent their first few nights sleeping in the nesting boxes. Those are now blocked off at night. But the idea of perching seems to be a mystery to them. Now they sleep in the main part of the henhouse- but only one seems to be on a perch, the others huddle around her.

We have some perches in the run, but I'm not sure they're actually low enough to be accessible (this is a point of discussion between my handy-man husband and myself). They are weak fliers and we clipped their feathers. But I also feel like they just have no idea that perching is a good thing.

Should I be worried, or will they sort it all out?

They also don't seem interested in worms or slugs, but again, maybe they'll sort that out too?

2- The run is open air and about 12ft by 6 ft by 6 ft (4mx2mx2m in case my math is off). It was built on a part of our lawn. They've already dug up the area under the henhouse, but I'm wondering about cleaning the rest of it. Grass still remains, but I suppose won't be there for very long. While there's still grass, do I need to rake up their poo, or will it just sink into the ground? The climate here is very reminiscent of the PNW with very mild summers and frequent light rain (heavy downpours are rare). I'm not thrilled about them walking around in that, but it also seems to "disappear" quickly.

It's nice to meet all of you! Looking forward to this adventure.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

Why did you clip their wings? They will perch eventually. But it may be difficult because of their clipped wings. Make sure the coop as plenty of thick soft bedding for landing to protect their feet on impact. They also need horizontal landing space to get down from the roost. Pictures of your setup would be useful.
They also don't seem interested in worms or slugs
That is not a bad thing. Most chickens (animals) don't like slugs. Earthworms are vectors for tapeworms.
Grass still remains
You are correct. It won't last much longer. I like to use a thick layer of wood chips in my run so the poop has dry organic matter to cold compost in. But I have a solid roof over my run to keep it pretty dry. With your climate you should consider building a solid roof over the run.
While there's still grass, do I need to rake up their poo, or will it just sink into the ground?
No. It should get rained into contact with the soil and their scratching will also break it up and put it in contact with the soil where microbes will break it down for you. You are not over loaded with the space you have provided your flock. It would be a different matter if you were. But keeping things dry is key and you have an open top run.

Last edited:
Howdy, :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Happy :ya to have you here with us. Enjoy your time here at BYC!
Glad you decided to de-lurk!
animated-indian-and-redskin-image-0031.gif

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate

Hello all,

I've been a recent lurker on this forum, trying to learn everything I could before our ladies arrived last weekend. We are absolute, utter newbies to chickens. My husband built our run, but we have a commercial henhouse inside. He wanted to make sure they had enough space so it's a big one, for a current population of 4.

We have two light Sussex, and two Cendrée, all from a local breeder. Oh and we are located in Brittany, France, but I'm an American and well, like speaking English. I wanted Sussex because they're reported to be so friendly and good company. The Cendrée were so pretty we couldn't resist.

Our city is smallish, but we are in an increasingly urban setting. Lucky enough to have 700 m2 for our yard though. Once the ladies finish getting used to their new environment, they will be free ranging. I am looking forward to having company as I garden.

So far I've been thoroughly enjoying the bed-time show- I never would have predicted that watching chickens put themselves to bed would be so entertaining.

They've not yet been here a week, and are about 5 months old. Not laying anything yet, but given the upheaval they've been through, and the frequent attention they are showered with, I'm not surprised.

I do have a few questions (well, a lot really, but I'll limit myself for the time being), and I suspect they've already been asked and answered ad nauseum here. So if there are any particular threads I should check out, please point me to them.

1- is it possible they don't really know how to be chickens yet? The breeder had them inside a barn in large pens, split up by size- the Sussex were in the same pen as the Cendrée and Coucou de Rennes -other birds/breeds were in other pens. There were no perches- just some sort of hay-like floor covering and their food/water containers.

My birds spent their first few nights sleeping in the nesting boxes. Those are now blocked off at night. But the idea of perching seems to be a mystery to them. Now they sleep in the main part of the henhouse- but only one seems to be on a perch, the others huddle around her.

We have some perches in the run, but I'm not sure they're actually low enough to be accessible (this is a point of discussion between my handy-man husband and myself). They are weak fliers and we clipped their feathers. But I also feel like they just have no idea that perching is a good thing.

They also don't seem interested in worms or slugs, but again, maybe they'll sort that out too?

2- The run is open air and about 12ft by 6 ft by 6 ft (4mx2mx2m in case my math is off). It was built on a part of our lawn. They've already dug up the area under the henhouse, but I'm wondering about cleaning the rest of it. Grass still remains, but I suppose won't be there for very long. While there's still grass, do I need to rake up their poo, or will it just sink into the ground? The climate here is very reminiscent of the PNW with very mild summers and frequent light rain (heavy downpours are rare). I'm not thrilled about them walking around in that, but it also seems to "disappear" quickly.

It's nice to meet all of you! Looking forward to this adventure.
Hello and a very happy welcome to BYC and a happy welcome from Northern Italy!!!

It's great to see that you seem to really care about your chickens!

Warning! Slugs can be poisonous when they are touched or eaten that might be why they don't like them.

Some of my chickens at first didn't like roost bars but after about a month they started sleeping on their roost bars. Just give them time.

What food are you using? They should get an egg layer mix and a source of calcium like oyster shells.

Can you put a picture of their coop and run? I'm curious of what it looks like. You could give them mealworms instead, either dried or alive.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

Why did you clip their wings? They will perch eventually. But it may be difficult because of their clipped wings. Make sure the coop as plenty of thick soft bedding for landing to protect their feet on impact. They also need horizontal landing space to get down from the roost. Pictures of your setup would be useful.
The breeder clipped their feathers before he put them in the box for transport. It's just the last row of flight feathers- he did it automatically. The feathers will re-grow, right?

And I suppose the grass isn't thick or soft enough? And certainly won't be once it's gone. The coop is uncovered. I'll discuss with the husband about covering it, but the "rain" that happens here is mostly light rain/ heavy mist. So it blows in horizontally too, so a roof won't change things *that* much- I'm not sure how I feel about covering the run entirely- wouldn't that effectively be a greenhouse? There is dry shelter space under their house. Let me go get some photos. I hate typing on my phone, so I'll post those in a separate reply.

edited, because punctuation is a good thing.

Last edited:
Here are some photos:
The whole set up,
20230808_125035.jpg
the henhouse,

20230808_125043.jpg

the current perch system and"play crate" my husband built. The top, where I'm storing plants is actually a planter that has been seeded with oatgrass, chia, radish and I think mustard seeds for the chooks to eventually feed on.
20230808_125056.jpg

Inside is their dust bath and a place for them to hang out? I'm not entirely sure what my husband's idea is here. But when winter comes, he plans to put a matching sheet of plexi on the open side to keep the interior dry. Obviously the lower perch will need to be moved.

20230808_125109.jpg

And finally there's a picture of the flock under their henhouse. That's where they spend their time relaxing.

20230808_125156.jpg

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Pretty birds! ❤ However you need to cover that chicken wire with hardware cloth or welded wire, chicken wire is extremely flimsy and anything can rip that apart at night and eat your birds. Mice and rats can shimmy right in as well, snakes too. And I'd put a roof over the entire thing to keep rain out, too much sun.

They will learn a routine eventually, and you may need to train them to use the roost bar by placing them up there at bedtime.

Enjoy your flock!

Back
Top Bottom