Greetings from Apple Valley

Captain Andrews

Chirping
May 17, 2023
Apple Valley, CA
My Coop
My Coop
Well Goood Morn'in to ya,

Not really great at intros so I'll just borrow the provided guide (thank you)
I will say feedback, and constructive criticism is always welcomed and appreciated. Thank you in advance.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? Yup, As new as the chicks when they first arrived.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
We ordered a 10-count of my desired breed, Plymouth Barred Rock.

(3) What breeds do you have?
Okay, I sort of jumped ahead on this one, read above. They are 3 weeks and all seem to be doing well.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
- '
It's the precious' [eggs] (think Golem, LOTR). Also, becoming more self-sufficient, even if only in a small way.
- We want to use the chickens daily care as an opportunity to teach our children responsibility in a fun way. Part of our thinking is if they are consistent with the daily care (once they are old enough), they can sell the surplus eggs to earn spending cash.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Photography as a hobby. Some rough woodworking has thrust upon me with our 1950's fixer upper home. And I do enjoy the word more often than not.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

We live in Apple Valley, CA. A desert climate not to dissimilar from when you think of Arizona. Our summers reach 110, that affects our lives and decisions quite a bit. I plan to make the coop (to be built soon) predator proof, and add DIY PVC feeders and waterers that can be filled from outside.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I've found a handful of answers to the questions I have begun to run into from this very site and decided it was worth it to join.

20230517_083655.jpg

THE BROODER, started as a surplus military container (38" W x 18" D x 22" H) as it's was what I had on hand that fit the bill (I was travelling when they shipped and got back the night before they arrived. Now I'm using an upcycled shipping container (7' W x 3' D x 2' H). It has gone through several iterations and improvements. 1/2" plywood below.

THE CHICKS,
They LOVE to perch on the rim. They dart around the inside and so far it's seems to be playful and nothing aggressive. Their spa includes a sand-bath newly renovated rock decor. The lid gets closed when we leave home and overnight; since I've found some on the floor of my half-finished office from time to time when they get scared over the edge from something going on in the brooder.

Back
Top Bottom