Greetings from Bakersfield

mrsemma

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
Hello!
My husband and I are first time chicken owner here. Since we actually live outside of city limits we can have up to 12 chickens. Those who live in city limits are severally limited on who can have chickens. We won’t have any roos so hopefully our neighbors won’t hate us.
wink.png

Our girls are now 3 weeks old!! We got 2 Black Australorps (Nemo & Dory) and 2 RIRs (Lucy & Ethel) and 2 Welsummers (Thumper & Flower). We also have a Rottador named Raven aka Big Baby a Red German Shepard named Ilsa, and an annoying cat named Gabby.
Who knew that designing and building a coop was so much work?? Certainly not I. We are building a 8’x12’ run that will be 6’6” tall with a 4’x8’ coop attached. We are learning by jumping in the deep end for sure!! Thank goodness for previous postings on how big should the chicken door be, how wide to make the ramp, how many rungs per foot, how big to make the nesting boxes, how to build a door, and more simply, HOW to build the base and the run walls in the first place???? And it needs to be way more heat hardy than cold hardy.
In case you didn’t notice, neither one of us are real experts at construction projects, so between reading about so many of your coops, and the many coops you can read about for free online and the 4 library books I picked up last week, we are drawing and discussing and re-drawing and re-discussing our plans which are finally taking shape.
Hope all is well for you, if you have any words of advice, please feel free to share. We are enjoying our new venture!!
Gerry and Emma

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Yes, coop building is no easy task! It doesn't have to look pretty, as long as it is predator proof, keeps them dry, and large enough for your birds. Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Lots of articles on how much space chickens need and even our coops pages. Lots of good ideas from our members within our coop section...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops

Good luck all your poultry adventures and welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom