Greetings From Minnesota

Babeof1957

In the Brooder
Feb 2, 2016
Hi Everyone,

I'm brand new to this group and looking forward to learning from all of you.

My husband and I bought a small, 17-acre farm two years ago. His Christmas present to me was to create and build a chicken coop so that I can raise a few egg-laying girls. I've been doing a lot of reading, but I know there is so much to learn. You'll no doubt be hearing from me a lot!

I am at the "picking my breeds" point, and I have them pretty much narrowed down. I'm looking for good egg layers, not broody, cold tolerant and docile...I'd like to have several different breeds. So far, Rhode Island Red, Plymouth Rock, Ameraucana, Barred Rock, Buff Orpington and a Blue Birchen Langshan cock to watch over the girls. What say you about my choices? I won't be offended if you tell me I've picked incorrectly!
D.gif

Thanks everyone!
Babeof1957

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! What an exciting time for you at the moment :celebrate Sounds like you have some nice breeds picked out there. That's was a really nice gift from your husband, I'm sure your very excited about getting started with your chicken adventures.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. What a wonderful Christmas present! :eek:) The breeds on your list are all good, hardy breeds, but based on your criteria may not be the best breeds for you. Rhode Island Reds are excellent layers but are sometimes aggressive as many BYC members including myself can attest; particularly hatchery quality RIRs (the heritage birds from reputable breeders seem to be better tempered). True Ameraucanas are expensive and available only from breeders, not hatcheries or feed stores (the one exception is Meyer Hatchery which sells Blue Ameraucanas). Hatcheries and feed stores frequently and incorrectly market their Easter Eggers (which are hybrids produced by crossing blue egg layers with brown egg layers to produce offspring that lay eggs in colors other than just blue) as Ameraucanas when in fact they are Easter Eggers. The temperament of Easter Eggers varies somewhat depending on which brown egg layers are used in the cross. Based on my experience with them, they are usually docile and will tolerate being handled but do not really like it. Buff Orpingtons are a wonderful breed being hardy, calm and gentle (great lap pets), and good layers of brown eggs, but they do tend to go broody fairly frequently. Other good laying breeds besides Buff Orpingtons that have a well deserved reputation for being calm and gentle (great lap pets) include Black Australorps (excellent layers which rarely go broody), Salmon Faverolles, Speckled Sussex, and Brahmas. If I were personally going to choose a rooster for breeding purposes, I would go with one of these calm and gentle breeds as you don't want to breed aggression into your flock. Of course there can always be an exception with any breed. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

No need for any further input, so i'll just pop in and say hi and a warm welcome to BYC. From the above posts, you don't need me to tell you what a great bunch of peeps we have here.

All the best
CT

Fellow Minnesotan here!! Welcome! Come join us over at the Minnesota thread and Surviving Minnesota!! We r all abunch of talkers over there and love getting new members!

Back
Top Bottom