Greyhounds and Chickens?

emilyjay

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2016
Narre Warren
Hi everyone,

We're thinking of adopting an ex-racing Greyhound, however we have 6 Silkies that free range during the day. Just wondering if anybody has had experience with Greyhounds and poultry?

Greyhounds are a bit more flighty than some other dogs. You should gradually get your dog used to the chickens. Most dogs only chase things that will run away, so if your Silkies do not run from the dog, it will make training that much easier.

welcome-byc.gif

Ditto. Slow is the key, and don't ever let the dog chase the chickens or see you doing it if you can help it. Good luck!

also, few rescues will adopt unless you have a very secure yard. they are sighthounds and runners. personally, they are unlikely to do well off-leash around chickens. especially retired racers - they have spent their lives chasing a small (though fake) animal around the track. Even if they don't know what to do when they catch it, they will easily kill something as small as a silkie

also, few rescues will adopt unless you have a very secure yard.    they are sighthounds and runners.    personally, they are unlikely to do well off-leash around chickens.    especially retired racers - they have spent their lives chasing a small (though fake) animal around the track.   Even if they don't know what to do when they catch it, they will easily kill something as small as a silkie
We got our dog from a rescue. The rescue didn't care whether we had a secure yard or not. He has roamed all his life. Greyhounds are actually very unexitable dogs. They do not usually jump or bark or run in circles. They preferred to be sort of a couch potato, unless very exited. Your greyhound may pay little or no attention to your chickens, as long as they are not running away.

Did you adopt a racing greyhound? I've never seen a rescue of them that doesn't have the first question on the app being "do you have a fenced yard"
Yes, they are mostly mellow - except when they start to chase. And then they are just gone.
And Silkes tend to be excitable birds so if startled will likely ignite that need to run down prey.

Very few rescues of any sorry will even consider an owner workout a fenced yard these days. Unless you ate adoring from the animal shelter, most of which have open policies where anytime can pretty much take a dog.

Exclusively greyhound rescues may be different. I don't know. I didn't adopt an ex-racing greyhound. But for normal rescues, a secure yard is not needed. It may not be needed for all greyhounds either; I have known people with greyhounds, but no fenced in yard.

Back
Top Bottom