Grit mixed with oyster shell?

I'm sorry, how is that harsh? I didn't intend to be.
If your birds have access to the ground, they likely don't need grit. I just toss oyster shell out for them to take as they need.
I agree. No more harsh than tossing scratch and other treats on the ground. I put grit and OS in feeders for my own convenience, not theirs. That way I don't have to remember to provide it on a daily or weekly basis. I use gallon-size cat feeders, fill them up once a year or so.

Just seems like if you mix it, some chickens might get the OS that don't need it. šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
I understand, makes sense, I will keep it separated. Thanks.
I'm sorry, how is that harsh? I didn't intend to be.
If your birds have access to the ground, they likely don't need grit. I just toss oyster shell out for them to take as they need.
Iā€™m sorry I didnā€™t mean to say you were ā€œharshā€ (bad wording) I just thought it was funny šŸ˜„ Toss it and theyā€™ll find it, I like that. Text conveys wrong sometimes. Thank you.
I agree. No more harsh than tossing scratch and other treats on the ground. I put grit and OS in feeders for my own convenience, not theirs. That way I don't have to remember to provide it on a daily or weekly basis. I use gallon-size cat feeders, fill them up once a year or so.
All makes sense now, Iā€™ll keep it separate probably just so I know what theyā€™re using. I appreciate it.

I cut a couple plastic jars into "troughs" and screwed them to the coop wall. One for grit, 1 for oyster shell. No dishes to carry in or out. Easy to see what needs filling.
20240405_165131.jpg

Back
Top Bottom