grit ?

jkm

Songster
12 Years
Mar 28, 2007
Forest Grove
Our three girls are ten weeks and big and bouncy, my mother insists we give them grit in their old baby feeder, is it time?
we have just given them a few tablespoons up to now.
cheers

This reminds me of a question I had the other day. I've seen other posts that said as long as they are picking up small rocks, gravel, etc, they wouldn't need grit. Where we live, there are no rocks. No gravel, nothing. Just sand. They pick and scratch all day, so they're eating the sand. Is it big enough to do the job? They are eating starter feed, but also bugs, whatever they pick up from the ground in their run, occasional snack of rice or oatmeal or apple peels.

Mine also free range, but I still provide grit. My thought is that a bag of chick grit is not expensive, and it lasts a long time -I'm still on my first bag 4 years later- so it doesn't hurt to provide it for them.

If your birds are eating anything other than commercial feed, you should provide grit. Even though they free-range your property, they may not find grit.

Don't mix the grit with their feed. Put it in a separate container.

Our birds forage our property and we provide grit. As already stated, it isn't very expensive to provide it, and they will only eat what they need.

regards,
keljonma

if edited, probably for typos.....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom