Ground cover

Vratnyjulez

Songster
6 Years
Apr 22, 2018
Florida
I was wondering what everybody uses for their ground cover inside their coop on the bottom of the coop right now is just plain dirt. I was wondering if there would be something better?

Attachments

• 3D86CA8A-1EC1-4E5A-9D04-C83FC70379C1.jpeg
    3D86CA8A-1EC1-4E5A-9D04-C83FC70379C1.jpeg
    860 KB · Views: 18
Yes there is something better than plain dirt, imo.
Check this out:

I have my coop inside a stand of trees, and I throw dried dead leaves in it. The chickens love scratching in them. I have also added some small sticks, pine needles, and a a sandy spot for dusting.

I have my coop inside a stand of trees, and I throw dried dead leaves in it. The chickens love scratching in them. I have also added some small sticks, pine needles, and a a sandy spot for dusting.

I fill a trash can with dried leaves and carefully turn it over and pull it off the tower of leaves. The girls look at it like it's an alien but a while later they have a ball tearing it apart.

JT

Wow. That’s a really good idea! :thumbsup

Not my original idea but I took the idea to the next level. My first idea was to put plastic tubby over some grass seed. Then @Sunny-Side Up showed me a grass box they had made. After making some 2' x 4' grass boxes I noticed the HC would sag in the middle and the pullets would run across the box because I had placed them perpendicular to the fence so I changed from 2' x 4' to 1' x 4' and placed them parallel to the fence.

JT

I fill a trash can with dried leaves and carefully turn it over and pull it off the tower of leaves. The girls look at it like it's an alien but a while later they have a ball tearing it apart.

JT
That is a great idea! I am going to do that. We have no shortage of dead leaves! :)

Back
Top Bottom