Group of bachelor roos, anyone do this??

megshenhut

Songster
14 Years
Jun 21, 2007
Central Colorado
Does anyone know if you can keep multiple roos together? I know if they are with hens they will fight over them, but if you just have a bachelor group together without the girls will they get along better or not? I would like to try this so my hens, don't end up all battered, but I don't want a disaster on my hands with a bunch of bloody roos. I have 4 roos and want to hatch eggs this spring which means more roos. I don't want to get rid of my roos and am trying to figure out how to do this without the boys fighting over the girls or beating each other up. Is this even possible?

I do keep a batchlor pen with two or three and they do fine with each other. However, I have to keep them all cooped up when I do it and they loose their freedom. I only coop them up when I try to get one roo to be fertilizing all the eggs.

Good luck... I eat my extra roos.

I was just going to post the same question. I love my chicks, and hate to think I will have to rehome some. Anyone else have bachelor pads????

Well, my user name says it all. LOL. My drakes are all named because they were my first ever hatchlings, from a duck that passed away after laying them (I incubated them). Most of the eggs turned out to be drakes.

So to answer the question, yes I know it works fine with ducks. We kept our drakes separate all last summer with a partition down the center of the pen, and a fenced off portion of the yard for "free-ranging". Once the ducks stopped laying eggs in the fall, we were able to re-integrate the drakes without any problems for the duration of the winter. Now that laying season just started again, we had a bit of a problem before realizing it was time to separate the drakes out again. Unfortunately one of our drakes got assaulted by his brothers. So be vigilant and err on the side of caution!

I have a Silkie batchlor pen . 8 of them hangin' out together, they get along great together.. no probs or fighting, but they are "BIG" babies..
smile.png

We have about 60-75 assorted chickens running around at the stables. I'd guess there are about 20 roos of different breeds. They tend to group together with 1 or 2 roos to a group of hens running all over during the day and they get together in larger groups at night to roost. Occasionally, they will squabble but so far no serious injuries. There are even a couple of groups of 3-4 roos that hang out together. I think as long as they have enough room to get away from each other when they want to, they are fine.

We received our roos full grown, and they are all penned together until I have more hens. I have 4 together in a "bachelor pad" and they all seem to be great chums.

We've got them in an enclosure about 25 x 12 feet. They all roost together, eat together and crow together.

We've a bunch of land with no neighbors, which is a good thing. It's a bloody racket most the day.

Em

Back
Top Bottom