Grow Till Due Then Die???!!

minifarmgurl1

Songster
10 Years
Apr 24, 2009
indiana
Why the heck do they grow fully then die when its time to hatch?..its so agravating, and sad. This is my second batch of eggs and this time oout of 35 eggs only 8 hatched! I broke open a few of them to see what they looked like and they were fully developed but then died..why is that?

Im using a small incubator that holds water but has no fan. I cant remember what kind it is, but do you think maybe my hatch rate would be better with a different incubator?

I had the same problem with mine. I had thirty eggs and only 4 hatched. It was my first batch so I'm sure there was human errors throughout the process. But curiosity got the best of my after 26 days and I found that close to a dozen were almost completely developed. It broke my heart, especially after turning them and rotating them throughout the still air incubator. I will be watching this thread for pointers too.

It can be one of a few things here's a link to guide you I reference that all the time.
smile.png
Might want to save it to favorites list if you plan on incubating a lot
wink.png

http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/Avian/pfs33.htm

Be careful that your humidity is not to high, it can drown them when they pip internally. You would never know that was the reason!(no defects or high temps)
I'm sorry! I know it's very discouraging when that happens!
sad.png

I have said this before and I will say it again, this is totally from experience. I am using a still air incubator right now and I have had great hatches, but what you need to remember about still air is they will lose temp easily, a lot of places are still having cool nights, this will slow things down and cause the chicks to develop and hatch slow. My last hatch I had them start on Day 22 and end on Day 25. Also make sure you have an accurate thermometer and hygrometer especially in a still air.

I had that happen when I first started hatching, I put it down mostly to humidity issues--it got too high at the end. I had my husband add a fan to ours, and I got an auto-turner so I didnt' have to open it to turn eggs (it's a Hovnabator 1602N, very cheap styrofoam bator) & I went to using low humidity---and I've had great hatches ever since. I also calibrate the hygrometer/thermometer -- two of them, before I set each batch, to be sure they are working correctly - and I use a water weasel & go off of that reading to adjust temps/humidity. I think all of these things helped contribute to successful hatches for me. Keep trying & good luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom