grower feed is out of stock

this is so informative — thank you! they get range time daily in a chicken tractor, and they are my garden companions, so they eat lots of fresh greens, grass and weeds at the moment. of course also tons of bugs. and they’re getting a bit of cold veggie scraps and watermelon on these hot days.

is there one better choice between the chick starter and the turkey grower or either is ok?

also, when DO I switch to layer?View attachment 3211584
Gosh they are pretty :)

Only switch to layer once they are laying, and even then, layer is often just minimum protein (it assumes 100% of their diet is the feed) so you can feed them a little of the higher protein as a mash or a treat (this is nice if you have another who eats that type and you want to finish a bag or just get through the BIG bag while it is fresh. I had just one Tom, so he took a while to eat a 25kg/50lb bag, the chickens helped me have a reasonable turn over in bags)

Just make sure there is free access calcium on hand.

Take a look at the labels of both your Turkey food and the starter, likely the only difference is a small amount of protein, which is fine either way since they eat lots of fresh foods in your garden. Pick the one that you can find most often and has a good price. As much as chickens love treats, for some reason they like consistency in their daily food... They dislike when you start a new brand 🤷‍♀️

If I have to switch brand or type, they will go on hunger strike on me. But if they get a treat of something off the supper table, they climb over each other to get at it. I don't get it... But since they are females, sometimes best to just understand that I don't need to understand, just respect it.

You don't ever have to start feeding layer food. Just offer some crushed oyster shell in a side dish. Every flock member can eat this way.
She is completely right and I wish I had heard that advice (and taken it in) when I started, it would have saved me trips back and forth between multiple feed stores trying to get the "right" food.

If they are free-range there is no such thing as too much protein. If they have calcium they will take it wherever it is.

Gosh they are pretty :)

Only switch to layer once they are laying, and even then, layer is often just minimum protein (it assumes 100% of their diet is the feed) so you can feed them a little of the higher protein as a mash or a treat (this is nice if you have another who eats that type and you want to finish a bag or just get through the BIG bag while it is fresh. I had just one Tom, so he took a while to eat a 25kg/50lb bag, the chickens helped me have a reasonable turn over in bags)

Just make sure there is free access calcium on hand.

Take a look at the labels of both your Turkey food and the starter, likely the only difference is a small amount of protein, which is fine either way since they eat lots of fresh foods in your garden. Pick the one that you can find most often and has a good price. As much as chickens love treats, for some reason they like consistency in their daily food... They dislike when you start a new brand 🤷‍♀️

If I have to switch brand or type, they will go on hunger strike on me. But if they get a treat of something off the supper table, they climb over each other to get at it. I don't get it... But since they are females, sometimes best to just understand that I don't need to understand, just respect it.
this is such a great detailed response and info, thank you! I'm glad the ladies look healthy!

now that you mention a hunger strike (ha! I believe it!) I wonder what they'd think of going back to the powdery crushed up chick starter consistency? hopefully all good there! the grower they're on now is cracked whole grains. I'm assuming the turkey grower is the same.

you're right, all the feed breakdowns are really similar, it's just varying levels of protein. I'm glad to hear it doesn't make much difference the actual number, but that they get more protein than the layer feed offers is probably still better for them at this age (or beyond).

grower:
https://www.newcountryorganics.com/mwdownloads/download/link/id/343

starter:
https://www.newcountryorganics.com/mwdownloads/download/link/id/353

turkey grower:
https://www.newcountryorganics.com/mwdownloads/download/link/id/354

layer:
https://www.newcountryorganics.com/mwdownloads/download/link/id/332

the chick starter would be the one more regularly available locally. but that bag of turkey grower is likely still sitting there and I could go grab that tomorrow if need be. choices!

I felt bad the other four ladies got left out of that first photo 😬😬 and one good shot of the Australorp gleaming greens.
934D6AA9-6F9B-43D6-9B8E-B79089C17A69.jpeg

0D2A2BE6-45C4-4A16-A363-B035762DCFC2.jpeg
0CA0A583-0FC8-4D01-9DCD-C9AF4F64D215.jpeg
36A4F4CD-C99D-4A05-A269-1D4CC39CC578.jpeg

D68E2852-F66C-43A7-88D7-F61DB7C54C94.jpeg

Gosh they are pretty! I love the little ballerina pose and that funny little face looking up at you over her shoulder.

The turkey grower I have available locally is little pellets and the hens love to steal them from my Tom's bowl. (stolen food is more delicious)

If they don't like the chick food just add water, then it becomes pudding and you can add anything to it like small chopped veggies, a hard boiled egg, or a very ripe banana... It also lets you sneak in things like vitamins or meds if you need to. (for dose specific meds just feed them individually a set amount of the food, like a tablespoon full of the mash with their dose of meds) then the rest of the breakfast is regular mash with no meds.

I am no good at giving them meds by pushing a tablet into their mouth or pushing a syringe into their mouth, but I can dose some wet chick food and bring them into the kitchen telling them I have a special treat waiting, so I have done that with everything from calcium citrate to safeguard.

I love the mixture and it always makes me smile to see the leg stretch they do! Glad you sent pics of those cuties too.
the graceful wing-leg stretch. I thought maybe it was only baby chick move but no. I find it so entertaining 😂 of course she knew I was taking photos. better than a beak all up in the phone pecking at it! they make it so damn hard to get a picture!

Gosh they are pretty! I love the little ballerina pose and that funny little face looking up at you over her shoulder.

The turkey grower I have available locally is little pellets and the hens love to steal them from my Tom's bowl. (stolen food is more delicious)

If they don't like the chick food just add water, then it becomes pudding and you can add anything to it like small chopped veggies, a hard boiled egg, or a very ripe banana... It also lets you sneak in things like vitamins or meds if you need to. (for dose specific meds just feed them individually a set amount of the food, like a tablespoon full of the mash with their dose of meds) then the rest of the breakfast is regular mash with no meds.

I am no good at giving them meds by pushing a tablet into their mouth or pushing a syringe into their mouth, but I can dose some wet chick food and bring them into the kitchen telling them I have a special treat waiting, so I have done that with everything from calcium citrate to safeguard.
aw thanks 😍 they do keep me entertained! great advice about the meds and the special feed mixes! and of course, stolen food is ALWAYS more delicious.

they always loooved chick starter mash! now I do an overnight soak with the grower and give them that first thing when I unlock them in the morning. they can’t wait for it to hit the tray! no reason they wouldn’t enjoy that still with the finer grind. I will have to decide tomorrow-ish between the starter or the turkey feed as I just emptied the last bit in the bag. thanks for all the great things to think about!

Back
Top Bottom