Grower vs Layer Feed . . . when do you make the switch

dunham

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 2, 2009
14 BR's - 18 weeks old 1st started laying 1 1/2 weeks ago, 2nd today. 12 others still not laying. How do I continue to give grower feed to the growers and layer feed to the layers.

Chickens are free range, locked up at night and we have feeder inside the coop. We have been mixing grower and layer.

This chicken business is hard work
smile.png

I just switched mine to Layer this week. They are 16 weeks and my BR looks like she's almost ready, the others may take awhile, but I think 16 weeks is acceptable.

(I do have some grower left, so for this first week I'm mixing in layer slowly to get them used to it.)

I started mixing layer feed in with the last 5 gal bucket of finisher feed, approx 19 weeks old.

Kinda went with when I was running low of a bag of finisher, because of their age I wasn't buying another 50lb of finisher feed just to have them start laying in a couple of weeks. Two started laying in the middle of their 20th week, 2 still aren't laying yet and I think they're close to 22 weeks now.

It's TSC Dumor feed, and it says you're "supposed" to start them on layer a week before they are expected to lay, so a little early seems to be OK even by the recommendations on the bag.

Last edited:
They will all be ok with the layer feed. Some say not to switch till laying but I always switch around 18 weeks, seems like I run out of grower around that time. You can continue to mix till you are out of grower.

Well, I switch mine over about 16-18 weeks... I start mixing the last of the grower with the layer pellets to get them used to it and by the time they are all laying they are all on the pellets
smile.png

Quote:
my youngest are 16 & 17 weeks, the oldest 19-20 weeks, no eggs yet, athough the two eldest are very "red" around the comb and wattles, so it will surely be soon. I started "mixing" a couple of weeks ago, and am now feeding layer, with no ill effects that I can see, all are healthy and happy and have the energy level of a normal 2 year old child. . . . I can't be doing very much wrong!

you folks seem to really know what you are doing! I am so new to this and am really confused to what feed to give my girls! (we are picking up 5 BO on thursday and I want to be ready but still havent decided what to feed them...they are 9 weeks old)
Do you all just get regular store bought feed by the 50 lb bag or do you make your own? (I found a "Grower Finisher" at Tractor Supply, is that a quality bag of feed?)
Is there anything specific I need to be looking for when I buy their feed?
Any additives to give the girls? We are going to let them free range in the backyard during then day and then be in the coop at night.
Im just realy lost and need to get them some feed before Thursday!
Also can I just store the feed in the bag or do I need to get a sealed container so no bugs get in? If bugs get in it, wont that be good for the girls?
Thank you,
Abby

Back
Top Bottom