Grower vs Layer Feed . . . when do you make the switch

This is my first year with chickens. I switched from grower to layer feed at about 16 weeks as that was when I used the last of the grower and didn't think it made sense to buy another 50 lbs. when they should be laying soon.

I suspect that switching early may have delayed their laying as I didn't start getting eggs until about 26 weeks. I'm guessing that they may have reached maturity a little sooner if left on the grower feed longer. Again, this is my first year with my first flock so what do I know? Just guessing based on what was expected and what actually occurred. In any event, they are all laying now. Next time I will try leaving chicks on grower until I get my first eggs.

Rob

You have to understand the layer contains extra calcium that, unless it's being used to coat the eggs, has to be filtered out by the bird's kidneys. This can lead to health problems if there is too much of it. That is the primary reason for waiting for the birds to start to lay. There are, BTW, some chicken owners that feed nothing but grower/flock raiser and allow their birds free choice calcium via oyster or eggs shells. This is especially true if you have roosters and are interested in breeding.

Quote:
That's how I do it. Grower feed and free choice egg shell. I have to fill a tuna can with shell about every 3 days or so with 4 laying right now. They eat it like potato chips.

Quote:
My first year too. The free choice was'nt working and my thought was it was bits of shrapnal for the throat. As in the 5 lbs bag of Oyster shells for pullets had pointy edges on 1/2" peices of pullet schrapnel.

It was my first year so forgive me. They do and will ingest things that would make me croak. I started the 'free choice' shell at 20 weeks (none laying yet) none touching it so mashed it with a towel to mix in feed. Once the 5 lb bag was mixed stopped. My mistake. Perhaps they do take free choice....laying now all but 2 (those are at 24 weeks). The girls so hate large pellets unless mixed with crumbles.

So I hurt the kidneys. Not good to know. But they seem happy so all is well.

Quote:
That's how I do it. Grower feed and free choice egg shell. I have to fill a tuna can with shell about every 3 days or so with 4 laying right now. They eat it like potato chips.

I like grower levels of protein... So I stay at a 19/20% protein feed... and just supplement oyster shells. I especially advocate staying at a higher protein feed if you like to give your chickens treats! If you are feeding a layer at 16/17% protein which will meet their protein requirements, but give them scratch or other treats, it can lower their over all protein intake... (most treats are low protein)
ON

I'm with Woodmort and Tomhusker. Mine get broiler mash (19% protein) with oyster shells. If I've boiled up a bunch of eggs, I take the shells and throw in the oven at 275 for 20 minutes to dry them out. Then I crunch them up and put them in the oyster shell container too. Whoever needs the calcium will get what they need.

Last edited:
Thank you, everyone, for your knowledge and informative replies. I guess I will contine feeding the girls grower and supplement with oyster shells until they start laying. Also have ot buy a heated water base today. Their water froze last night.
sad.png

I'd like to go with a higher protein feed than the grower, but the only thing available here is starter feed, and that is only available in medicated. Of course, I haven't checked game or turkey feed. Is that higher?

Last edited:
I am jumping in here, admittedly haven't read the ENTIRE thread, but so far haven't seen an answer to my predicament.
I have chickens ages 23 weeks (just started laying), 16 weeks, and 9 weeks, all living together. I would like to start feeding my layers proper layer feed, but instructions say not to feed it to younger birds. I must say, the shells and quality of the inside are both fabulous, I just would like to bump up the frequency of lay... Any advice?

This issue is not likely to let up soon, as I am getting more day-olds at the end of the month and as soon as they are feathered they will join the flock.

Thanks!!

I am jumping in here, admittedly haven't read the ENTIRE thread, but so far haven't seen an answer to my predicament.
I have chickens ages 23 weeks (just started laying), 16 weeks, and 9 weeks, all living together. I would like to start feeding my layers proper layer feed, but instructions say not to feed it to younger birds. I must say, the shells and quality of the inside are both fabulous, I just would like to bump up the frequency of lay... Any advice?

This issue is not likely to let up soon, as I am getting more day-olds at the end of the month and as soon as they are feathered they will join the flock.

Thanks!!

Aghh, never mind- I think Woodmort has answered the question-- it's only a matter of the calcium levels? I think they are fine since the shells are nice and solid. Right?
BTW, there are roosters too, but the eggs still seem good quality. I feed Scratch and Peck...

Back
Top Bottom