Growing Chicken Feed?

Reading thru this thread was very interesting.
I now feel I too will get started on growing my own.
welcome-byc.gif

And a well fed chick is a happy chick,
jumpy.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif

Thank you so much, alpinefarm, for your very clear and well-written explanation! I do feel inspired to work more at making my own chicken feed. I wish, wish I could free-range, and let them use their own innate wisdom to feed themselves. But too many free-roaming dogs, hawks and no fencing here. I would so like to get away from the insipid crumble....

Quote:
Just continue incorporating what is doable, a step at a time. I've grown flats of wheat or barley and set them in the coop for the hens to gobble and dig in. I've begged the produce guy to save greens for me. I've tossed dead mice in the pen for them to munch on (I've even set out a bucket of water at night to drown the mice in :})...and I've enjoyed the company of my flock while I dig up my fenced garden every spring, letting them have the worms while I go. There are lots of simple and fun ways to move toward a more natural diet and life for your birds. I think if I lived in a NYC apartment, I'd probably be the weirdo with secret seramas in my spare bedroom and growing tomatoes and wheatgrass for them on my balcony and eating tiny, tasty eggs for my breakfast...(sheepish shrug)

Quote:
That is really kind of you...and you are most welcome. It isn't always easy to be...um...sure of oneself...in the face of those long lists of official and brainy-sounding ingredients on the "bagged food"...at least, for me. I am a timid maverick, I guess. My husband and I are both self-employed now, too, and living our dream in the wilderness......finally......after trying life "the other way" for much too long (half-a-lifetime of "living the lists" society has...the silver chains that are so compelling to have initially). Wish we'd figured out in our 20s that all we needed was *courage* to do what we are doing now...:}

Rosemary

I grew spinach and kale during the summer for both myself and the chickens. I also grew cabbage which I stored in the garage and have fed this winter. I also sprout a 70/30 mix of sunflower seeds and wheat that I feed daily, along with commercial layer feed. I am planting stinging nettle in an unused area of the yard to use as a feed - it is very nutritious, 40% protein and perennial. I am also planning on starting a comfrey bed, if I can find the Bocking #4 roots. To totally abandon commercial feed is a high goal, but I am more concerned with providing the best possible fresh feeds year round.

alpinefarm,
I can relate to what you are saying.....!
I am not sure if I had the maturity in my 20's. The humbility of living "life the other way" can be intense. I think I needed the "courage" of my 40's in order to be able to believe in my choices. Yep, the lure of silver chains.. Been there done that! (Nearly 20 years!) No thanks I choose, honest physical work, health and the internal peace that comes with it...
OK, alternative grains..
For those in Colorado or at high altitude, I am wondering if you looked at or have tried growing Quinoa. To my knowledge outside of the South American Andes, Colorado is the only other place it has been grown successfully. It seems to be a wonderful nutritious grain good for people and chickens..
Too expensive to buy but maybe one could grow it.

ON

Wonderful topic, and something I've been looking into myself also. Just last week I picked up the book Four season gardening (I think that's it) to learn more about growing year round in a northern climate. I've also been reading Carla Emery's book and there is a section about growing your own poultry feeds. Basically everything that's been mentioned here. Currently I purchase my feed from a local farmer, but would like to get away from the Soy products and work toward a whole grain system. I can't wait until spring is here to start trying out everything I have been learning.

zephyrcreek,
Looks like a good book. I am going to add it to my "to read list".. Thanks What came to mind is hotbeds as a way to extend season. (Gotta try that..) I wonder if the book suggests that?
http://www.amazon.com/Four-Season-Harvest-Organic-Vegetables-Garden/dp/1890132276

Those of you into organics may want to read "Teaming With Microbes" In my humble opinion one will struggle with organic gardening unless they understand soil biology. Once you do you will never look back and see all synthetic fertilizers as pure 100% poison!
http://www.amazon.com/Teaming-Microbes-Gardeners-Guide-Soil/dp/0881927775

ON

Quote:
Eliot Coleman is a great organic gardener (Four Season Gardening), kinda my guru. His recent book, "Winter Harvest Handbook," is also very good, especially for greenhouse folks.

Back
Top Bottom