Growing out chicks to sell

Chikyboy

Bantam Cochin Collector
Oct 14, 2021
Nebraska
So next year I'm ordering from Murray McMurray. Along with chicks I'm gonna keep, I want to buy chicks to grow out and sell. Leghorn pullets, to sell as layers. I would probably sell them right before they lay or right when they start laying. So my questions are: how much can I sell them for, and is it worth it?

If you're doing this to make money, right now I would say don't. Back when my flock could be sold, I would sell off pullets I didn't end up wanting, and I was lucky if I got enough to cover their purchase price and the feed I put into them
If you buy 25 chicks for $125 from the hatchery and you raise them for 6 weeks you can sell 13 for $10 each and get $130. This pays for your chick order. Let the other 12 grow out to point of lay, free range as much as possible, and sell 6 for $20 and get $120. This pays for your feed and labor and you end up with the 6 best hens to keep you in eggs for the next 2-3 years

Attachments

• 20230421_171748.jpg
    20230421_171748.jpg
    624.8 KB · Views: 5
If you buy 25 chicks for $125 from the hatchery and you raise them for 6 weeks you can sell 13 for $10 each and get $130. This pays for your chick order. Let the other 12 grow out to point of lay, free range as much as possible, and sell 6 for $20 and get $120. This pays for your feed and labor and you end up with the 6 best hens to keep you in eggs for the next 2-3 years
Where I am, free range doesn't provide close to enough nutrition, nor are people paying 20 dollars a hen unless you happen to have a specific breed they're looking for. Also have to factor in gas money to bring the birds into town for sale, something we just always knew we were going to take for a loss. Most of my pullets wound up going for less than 15 dollars on good weeks

Back
Top Bottom