Growing sprouts from scratch grains?

callen0912

Chirping
Jan 31, 2015
When buying feed today, I picked up a bag of premium grain scratch for my girls. They were totally free range up until about a week ago. Dogs roaming in our area has become
more and more of a problem, and it led to me getting down to only one of my beloved girls in a short period of time. So I ended up putting a fence around their coop. Anyway, the scratch I got has corn, wheat, milo, barley and sunflower seeds. Would I be able to grow sprouts from it? Or would I need to go to the feed store and buy the actual grain (barley, wheat, etc)?

It depends on the scratch you by if you can sprout it. If the grains are whole, not cracked, rolled, pressed etc. You should be able to sprout it.
I get a scratch from a local feed producer that I can sprout but many on the marked will not sprout all the grains in them. You can always try some to find out.

I have not tried this product so I am not sure but reading the description "DuMOR 5 Grain Scratch provides clean whole and cracked grains" I would gues that the corn is cracked and therefor will not sprout but I would expect the other grains to.

I have not tried this product so I am not sure but reading the description "DuMOR 5 Grain Scratch provides clean whole and cracked grains" I would gues that the corn is cracked and therefor will not sprout but I would expect the other grains to.

This was my thought as well about the corn. I figured I would just pick it out for trying to grow sprouts.

You are going to be doing a lot of picking, and there will still be some bits and pieces and dust left behind that will encourage mold in your sprouts. Better to buy some whole grains. You can use bird seed that does not have cracked corn or sun flower seed pieces in it. You can use BOSS, you can use lentils. You can go to the health food store, and buy some whole wheat, oats, and even barley. If you use barley, be sure it's not pearled. You can use whole grains intended for animal feed. But don't use whole grains intended to be planted. When you buy whole grains, be sure they have not been heat treated.

Back
Top Bottom