Growth above eye! Help!

Poppyfrida

In the Brooder
May 31, 2015
Simi Valley, California
We noticed this growth above her eye the other day. Was hoping that it was an insect bite but it's still there with no change. Can anyone help me with this? Treatment? She is fine in every other way. It doesn't seem to bother her. I read somewhere about worms in the eye but did not see anything else in her eyes.

There's not a vet that treats chickens anywhere close and really couldn't afford that anyway. Really need some guidance.

Welcome to BYC!

That growth does look somewhat like a bug-bite. Does she scratch at it often (or ever)? If so, it could be nothing more than a mosquito bite.

There's the possibility that it could be a sinus infection, but that depends on whether or not chickens have sinuses near that part of their head (I don't know chicken anatomy that well, so I could be totally off). When two of my hens developed swelling growths near their nostrils, a trip to our local avian vet informed me that they had sinus infections from a respiratory disease. My vet prescribed the poultry antibiotic Enrofloxacin, and the infection cleared up in a week or two.

Another possibility is that she has a splinter or some other particle embedded there, and that the swelling is due to that.

How many days has she had this? Has it grown larger overtime, or remained the same size?

Keep us posted. Hope this has been somewhat helpful.

~Gresh~

Welcome to BYC!

That growth does look somewhat like a bug-bite. Does she scratch at it often (or ever)? If so, it could be nothing more than a mosquito bite.

There's the possibility that it could be a sinus infection, but that depends on whether or not chickens have sinuses near that part of their head (I don't know chicken anatomy that well, so I could be totally off). When two of my hens developed swelling growths near their nostrils, a trip to our local avian vet informed me that they had sinus infections from a respiratory disease. My vet prescribed the poultry antibiotic Enrofloxacin, and the infection cleared up in a week or two.

Another possibility is that she has a splinter or some other particle embedded there, and that the swelling is due to that.

How many days has she had this? Has it grown larger overtime, or remained the same size?

Keep us posted. Hope this has been somewhat helpful.

~Gresh~

Thank you for your advice. I've read a few posts about sinus infections but she doesn't have any symptoms. Her nostrils are clear. She's had it for about a week which is why I'm worried now. I figured if it was a bug bite then it would have gone down by now. It hasn't changed at all. It feels hard. At first she scratched it but she hasn't in the past couple of days. She's just a spunky as she normally is.

It may be a cyst or tumor. I had a rooster with a smaller cyst on his eyelid that stayed the same size and was hard. Since it is growing it may be a tumor. You could always try lancing it, and squeezing it to see if you can get any plug out of it in case it is an abscess. If you only get blood, then I would guess that to be a tumor.

Back
Top Bottom