Growth on beak

Hello and welcome to BYC!

I moved your thread to our Emergency forums for more help. Can you post a photo of this beak?

It's hard to say without being able to see her beak. How old is the chick? Was she pecked by the others? Any blood? Definitely post a photo.

A picture would help. Chickens can sometimes get small injuries from a sharp feeder or from sticking the beak through wire fencing or chicken wire right on the top of the beak. They can start out as a little dot and grow into this:
1692451737596.png

Just taken photo. This growth has literally mushroomed in 4 days. Now it is huge. There us nothing inside the upper mandible that looks wrong. This morning it looked so much bigger and earlier there was a small crack 3ml and a bit black on the brownish, now yellowish bulge. When I went to take the photo it was bleeding slightly. Perhaps mother is trying to peck it off. I will try to post the photo now but I am not too experienced at this form of communication. The second photo is 4 days ago but the wart is not too visible. Thank you again. Ps we live in italy where it is very hot, there are many insects that bite terribly. We have 3 other juveniles who show no signs, gift from a neighbour, we have 2 geese and 2 sheep who are seperated and a Rooster, dad, and 1 other bantam type who is in the same coop but sitting on eggs for last 17 days with little interaction with other chickens. Thank you again for any advice. I do fear the worst.

Attachments

• 20230819_152054.jpg
    20230819_152054.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20230818-165634_Translate.jpg
    Screenshot_20230818-165634_Translate.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230815_123451.jpg
    20230815_123451.jpg
    585.1 KB · Views: 9
I would be tempted to say that it could be fowl pox, a virus transmitted by mosquitoes. In baby chicks the scabs can grow quite large. Usually one does not want to remove fowl pox scabs, sine the scabs can transfer the pox virus, but you will need to monitor the chick to make sure it can see to eat and drink. Or you will need to try feeding it moistioned chicken feed several times a day. Povidone iodine or alcohol applied carefully avoiding the eyes may help dry it out. Pox lasts about a month and then chickens become immune to it. Here is a good article about fowl pox if you think that is what this is:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/

Back
Top Bottom