Growth on beak

Hello and welcome to BYC!

I moved your thread to our Emergency forums for more help. Can you post a photo of this beak?
Thank you. We believe this is mosquito borne Papilloma Virus/fowl pox. We live in North Eastern Italy, 90mins south of Venice, 12 mins from Adriatic and mosquitos are very bad. Chick probably got bitten shortly after hatching when the beak was still softish. I have noted the suggestions for any future posts and the need to identify with a subject the nature of problem. Thank you for your good works.

I would be tempted to say that it could be fowl pox, a virus transmitted by mosquitoes. In baby chicks the scabs can grow quite large. Usually one does not want to remove fowl pox scabs, sine the scabs can transfer the pox virus, but you will need to monitor the chick to make sure it can see to eat and drink. Or you will need to try feeding it moistioned chicken feed several times a day. Povidone iodine or alcohol applied carefully avoiding the eyes may help dry it out. Pox lasts about a month and then chickens become immune to it. Here is a good article about fowl pox if you think that is what this is:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/
Hopefully, if it is fowl pox, the chick will recover without problems in the coming weeks. Let us know how she gets along, and if you see any other chickens with pox.

Hopefully, if it is fowl pox, the chick will recover without problems in the coming weeks. Let us know how she gets along, and if you see any other chickens with pox.
Thank you for your advice. The growth expanded 4 - 5 times in as many days, then started weeping blood in a number of places. My understanding and advice from nearby experts here in Italy is that we could lose our whole flock as it is highly contagious. We could not separate her to a hospital cage for a month, as you suggested this time for this to heal, so regrettably we had to let her go. Mum was stressed yesterday, as it was her first ever chick, but today she is calmer and back with her rooster and back in their large brick coop (keeps the heat and cold out) thoroughly cleaned out yesterday with disinfectants where required. They free range on our property here. She has not been aggressive to the other 8-10 week olds we were gifted by a neighbour 4 weeks ago and we do not want this highly contagious mosquito born virus transmitting to them or just waiting to see if any warts turn up. Thank you again. I have read your extremely good article about mourning birds and I agree. In Italy love birds are formally known as inseperabili. I have attached a screen shot on fowl pox. Kind regards. C.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230820-171604_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20230820-171604_Google.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom