grrr.....

happyfeet

In the Brooder
12 Years
Dec 24, 2007
the government brings the coyotes in to take care of the deer population, now the coyotes are justas big of a problem as the deer, so now they bring in bobcats! there is onw scoping out my barn full of goats and chickens! darn them, let mother nature do things on her own and we wont get into messes like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So that is the reason for the increase of coyotes? If the government is in it then it is bound to be a snafu from the get-go! I know of a place not more than 10 miles from here where fish and game introduced beaver. Soon the creek became a swamp full of mosquitoes. Seems one evening after dark a large boom was heard near to where the beaver dam was and no one saw any more beavers. Swamp was drained too. Mosquitoes were gone in about a month after that according to what I heard. Strange happenings.

Quote:
Maybe they will breed dinosaurs to take care of the bobcats next
he.gif

Our predator population around here is booming, too. Probably because the deer population is ridiculously high. We know we have coyote, fox and bobcat around here, along with the usual coons, possums and skunks. However, we had a run in with WOLVES a few years ago, and last week, a COUGAR ran in front of my car! I hope the bigger predators concentrate on the deer and not my chickens! With all the dogs we have around here, I really don't think they'll get close enough to do any damage, though.

I dont think coyotes need to be introduced anywhere they do a good job of taking care of themselves. I hear them every night but have never had any trouble with them. I have never seen tracks in the snow anywhere close to my coop. My Aussie makes a lot of racket when she hears them and I think that may drive them off.

I have a big light that I will turn on in their direction if I hear them, and from time to time I shoot Mr. 12 gauge in the general direction, but they have never really been close enough for a real shot. I hope that makes them even more wary. It seems to me that even if I were to shoot one or several that it would not have much effect on the general population.

Does anyone know if they sort of hang out in the same territory and if you take a few out you make a difference or do more of them simply come in and take their place? I confess to knowing very little about thier habits other than they are very adaptable.

I don't think that the governmnt had introduced them. Their population runs in cycles. Around here, we have a lot of coyotes because there are a lot of rabbits. When the coyotes get the rabbit population down their numbers will dwindle because of lack of food. With fewer coyotes, the rabbit population will boom and then within a couple of years the coyote population will rebound, and the cycle continues. Coyotes are so wide spread that I doubt that the government is releasing them. There might be a wildlife rehab group releasing one or two, but that's not the same thing.

We know someone who shot a Mountain Lion. He put it in his freezer to show people. A few days later Conservation agents showed up and wanted it. They had introduced it to the area and it had a tag in it's ear. I do not appreciate the fact that they bring large and dangerous predators to our area.

Back
Top Bottom