Grrrr SO mad at myself.

Flawedatdesign

Chirping
8 Years
May 18, 2011
Dixon Missouri
I went out and penned up our hens. I had some attacked last night. It only seems to happen when I do not get the coops locked up or open them up to early.

Well last night I had 1 hen and my Main roo scattered all over the yard. Not literally but one over here one over there. Hen was in good shape just a bit scared as I accidently let my dog go out with me in case it was a coon well he found the hen. About an hour later heard another chicken throwing a fit by the bathroom window. SO back out I go. It's my main roo. I went to poke him as he looked dead and ended up with him in my face. He was a little beat up one side of his face was swollen due to the attack.

Well I cooped everyone up tonight but didn't see Mr. Wobbles. I figured after the attack he went and roosted in a tree somewhere.
WRONG!.

I heard the dog bark so went outside to check the hens. Well I put everyone in one coop tonight hoping that lil bro roo might help protect them as Mr Wobbles was not around. So I left the other run and coop open as no one was in it. Well I go out to see Mr wobbles take his last breath and hear something run off.

He was in the nest box with half of one side of his face/head missing.

I'm thinking Coons but not sure any input. The big Hens/roo are large fowl I don't think the neighbors Cat could do the type of damage I saw. I'd take pics but It's a bit Graphic.

Any Thoughts?

It's odd that they only mess with them when the coops are open. That and the one is the farthest from the house. I have lost 3 hens out of the one coop. Will borrow the live trap tomorrow. I'll save some of Mr Wobbles to use as bait for the live trap.

Quote:
Umm, perhaps they 'only mess with them when the coops are open' is because that's when they have access to them?????

Back
Top Bottom