Guard goose.. I have questions.

sparky00

In the Brooder
Nov 8, 2018
Near Lawrence, Kansas
I apologize if this is in the wrong thread - if I need to move it please let me know.

Here is some background before the questions. Coop is currently being designed and built, so no hens yet. We plan to get 12-15 hens. We have plenty of room, so there will be an outside run possibly 400-500 sq ft. (haven't decided where to place on acreage yet) . I will protect the run from all the predators we have see on the ground, mainly coyotes and foxes. But, we also have hawks - they are always hunting (and catching) mice in the fields. I don't really want to cage in the top of the run, however do have some bird netting. My questions being:

Is a guard goose good to have for a small flock?

If so, we would get the goose at the same time we order the chicks, but where would the goos sleep when older (in the same coop, or need it's own coop)?

Does it matter if the goose is male or female?

Any other thoughts? Currently no outside dogs - but would be willing to get a dog for the flock if that was better.

I thank you all in advance for the advice!

Justin J.

I apologize if this is in the wrong thread - if I need to move it please let me know.

Here is some background before the questions. Coop is currently being designed and built, so no hens yet. We plan to get 12-15 hens. We have plenty of room, so there will be an outside run possibly 400-500 sq ft. (haven't decided where to place on acreage yet) . I will protect the run from all the predators we have see on the ground, mainly coyotes and foxes. But, we also have hawks - they are always hunting (and catching) mice in the fields. I don't really want to cage in the top of the run, however do have some bird netting. My questions being:

Is a guard goose good to have for a small flock?

If so, we would get the goose at the same time we order the chicks, but where would the goos sleep when older (in the same coop, or need it's own coop)?

Does it matter if the goose is male or female?

Any other thoughts? Currently no outside dogs - but would be willing to get a dog for the flock if that was better.

I thank you all in advance for the advice!

Justin J.
I'm not sure this is a good idea. The farm further down the mountain got a pair of geese and the geese killed their chickens.
Maybe others have more encouraging stories.

I have had a lot of good things come from our two geese. I keep mine with my ducks not chickens but they are great for keeping smaller predators away raccoons, possum, and deer. As long as you don’t have an aggressive rooster I would recommend getting a male goose. Toulouse and buff are excellent in my opinion. Good luck.

I have three male geese housed with chickens and ducks and they get along just fine with eveyone, but they don't keep predators away. We still see skunks, raccoons, opossoms, and fox.

While a whole gaggle of geese "may" be able to "defeat" a coyote or fox ... I wouldn't count on it ... and one is probably just a speed bump to the chicken buffet! read this ... https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/best-guard-geese.1280166/

While a dog (s) "may" also defeat a predator ... it has just as much of a chance as not ... depends ... dogs generally take lots of training (and mistakes!) To not play with the fluffy squawking running "toys" ... which usually ends up with dead chickens ... in the beginning ...

Think long and hard about an electric fence ... also think about locating you coop TOTALLY INSIDE of your electric fence, then a few strands of electric around the actual coop too.

I had one girl goose, when she realized she could do the bullying and no longer be bullied she ripped some combs of some hens she was jealous of, she did kill a hen, and she would get jealous of my hens having chicks since she didn't have a mate. I would think if you had more than one goose it could get worse. It may be diff if you raised them all together as babies. But my vote advise wise would be no.

Back
Top Bottom