Guess Breeds of my eggs Parents

Nathan

Songster
11 Years
Dec 10, 2008
Camas, WA, USA
I've gotten some eggs to hatch from JazziJ, a few streets away. He didn't know what breeds his chickens are but he sent me a picture of his flock. .

Who can guess the breeds in this picture? I'm a novice but I can guess that there are some barred rocks hens and a Rhode Island or New Hampshire Rooster.

19675_parentstock.jpg

In 21 days, hopefully, you will have a chance to guess the (half)breeds of the chicks. I have 24 eggs from this flock and another 24 that are said to be pure Rhode Island Red.

Looks like you've got some Barred Rock hens, 1 Barred Rock mix, 1 Barred Rock x RIR or NHR rooster, 2 Australorp hens, 1 golden chicken that I'm going golden comet or Buff Orp.

Looks like a good ole mix of birds.

(Neither of your cockbirds are purebred.)

The old name for such a mixture of farmyard fowl is 'Dungheaps', as that was were you would find them most of the time. Both cock birds are cross breeds, hens as previously described.

Thanks, everyone.

I had originally thought there was one rooster, but on a second look, that yellowlegged chicken in the foreground looks rather masculine.

That white one is a mystery. She's out of focus in this shot. She has coloring like a Delaware or Columbia Wydonette or Columbia Rock or . . .

The diagnosis of "barnyard" for the breed of chicks is holding up. I think there will be enough variation to tell at least most of them from the Rhode Island Red Chicks that will be hatching at the same time. The Rhode Island Reds have a 12 hour headstart.

I don't think the barnyard mixes will necessarily go to the dungheap. My friends who want chickens would probably appreciate funky colored ones that lay eggs, as would I.

Cocks, though, will probably go to the freezer. If there are any that I can tell gender on at an early age, they will be the best for my friends that are within city limits.

Last edited:
I don't think the poster meant they should go to the dungheap, just that that's where they hung out... I can just picture my chickens hanging out, scratching there all day, if i had a dungheap.

Oh no! Not that they should GO to the dungheap...that's what they're generally called when a whole group of birds are of unknown origin.

I don't think blackdotte meant it that way...just that "old-timers" or those of us who are more southern, generally call them dung-heap chickens.

Back
Top Bottom