Guess your best on this mystery ....

cate1124

Songster
12 Years
Jul 3, 2011
7-year-old Welsummer (you may call her Charlotte) has been periodically snicking and gaping for 2-3 months. At first, I thought the gaping was a stress response to being handled, which she hates. Then I saw her doing it while dustbathing. The snicking/sneezing routinely occurs after eating, occasionally at other times.

These are her only symptoms. She has no indicators of a respiratory infection; indeed, if she had something contagious, I'd think the whole flock would be showing symptoms by now. She eats well, drinks well, enforces peck order, vocalizes, poops normally. Her weight feels solid to me, she looks good and seems to feel pretty good, for an old girl. Crop function seems fine.

She squats very clearly for me, as she used to do when in production. And, she is occasionally sitting the nest, though I have not seen her eat calcium, and she has not laid this year (not unusual, at 7).

Any ideas? Is it possible that she's developed some sort of dust sensitivity/allergy with age? Some sort of brewing reproductive system issue (cancer, internal laying?) that is situationally impacting her breathing?

Save me a vet bill if you can! :)

All breeds have an expiration date, despite them given the best living conditions.

Have you changed anything to there living conditions? Like bedding, feed, etc.

Have you given her a physical check up? Looking for mites, lice, lumps, etc.

Just something to help narrow down and eliminate any causes.

All breeds have an expiration date, despite them given the best living conditions.

Have you changed anything to there living conditions? Like bedding, feed, etc.

Have you given her a physical check up? Looking for mites, lice, lumps, etc.

Just something to help narrow down and eliminate any causes.
Good ideas; thanks for chiming in. I'm sure it's not external parasites -- they're thankfully not that common in my part of Colorado, it's not prime time seasonally, and the rest of the flock would be showing signs, too. I've not felt for lumps, as she really stresses being handled and lumps likely mean cancer, and there's no treatment I'd pursue for that. I've done nothing different in their routine in recent months -- same bedding and food. I did change them to Layena crumbles from a different layer crumble awhile back -- perhaps last fall -- but I think that well preceded any symptoms. Switching back would be easy enough, I guess, as a way to test for food sensitivity. Would a food allergy cause gaping and snicking?

I suspect something environmental: Maybe inhalation of the following; pollen, mold spores, dust from dust bathing, feed dust, pesticide use etc.
Also, look inside her mouth for anything unusual.

I have a WTB that makes a "honking/sneeze" sound now and then, no clue why but she does and no other symptom ... Eating/drinking/pooping/laying ... Not concerned anymore.

Your girl is "older" ... Thinking possible weather change? Pollen?
Feed change was made last Fall, wheezing & snickering started a recently ... It's been about 6mos? I don't think it's that although I've learn from the feed I purchase, there's a visual difference between the "made by" and "made for" crumbles. The nutritional info the same as are the ingredients, however they "manufacturer" may use other ingredients to get the nutritional value depending on their availability ... So I'm told but have noticed the color & smell differences and prefer to purchase "made by" vs "made for".

Sorry not much help

I have a WTB that makes a "honking/sneeze" sound now and then, no clue why but she does and no other symptom ... Eating/drinking/pooping/laying ... Not concerned anymore.

Your girl is "older" ... Thinking possible weather change? Pollen?
Feed change was made last Fall, wheezing & snickering started a recently ... It's been about 6mos? I don't think it's that although I've learn from the feed I purchase, there's a visual difference between the "made by" and "made for" crumbles. The nutritional info the same as are the ingredients, however they "manufacturer" may use other ingredients to get the nutritional value depending on their availability ... So I'm told but have noticed the color & smell differences and prefer to purchase "made by" vs "made for".

Sorry not much help
That's OK. You're in there pitching. :} I think I'll switch back to the ration I used previous to Layena; I suppose it's possible that it took her awhile to develop a food sensitivity. I noticed the gaping during a cold spell in winter, before pollen would have been an issue.

Last edited:
I suspect something environmental: Maybe inhalation of the following; pollen, mold spores, dust from dust bathing, feed dust, pesticide use etc.
Also, look inside her mouth for anything unusual.
What in particular would you look for in the mouth, Dawg, and what might it indicate? Something other than an environmental issue?

I first noticed the gaping in winter, so pollen was not in play, and it's arid here, so mold spores also are not generally a thing. But maybe dust (from pine shavings in winter, or dirt, now) or possibly the food change -- she definitely sneezes after she eats, while the others don't. Also, it's gotten terribly windy in drought-ridden Colorado; there's often dirt in the air. I suppose some hens are more sensitive to that than others.

You can look for lesions in her mouth, perhaps a string wrapped around her tongue...anything out of the ordinary. Try and smell inside her mouth for a foul odor.
Ammonia fumes from soiled bedding could be an issue as well as improper ventilation.

You can look for lesions in her mouth, perhaps a string wrapped around her tongue...anything out of the ordinary. Try and smell inside her mouth for a foul odor.
Ammonia fumes from soiled bedding could be an issue as well as improper ventilation.
I'll check her mouth, thanks. I pick up poop every day -- seriously -- and their coop (actually, half a deep double garage) is bright and spacious, with windows and good ventilation.

I'd say weather related .... I. have a Serama pullet (16wks) that I suspected had URI from day one & treated for it. Only symptom was her watery/teary eyes, never sick. Nothing worked, even took her to the Vet. Started treating with a Vetrycin wipe & applying Triple Antibiotic 2x day, it helped alot. She goes in the patio brooder during the day, sleeps in her cage in the house at nite.

Weather has been wet/cool weather but this past Saturday it was pouring and chilly, her eyes got weepy after being dry for days. Put the heat lite out in the patio brooder, brought her in at night (she sleeps in her cage), her eyes have cleared and dry ... Assuming temps affecting her?

I have a hen that "honks" sneeze when there is less humidity in the air, now that it's been humid, no "honking". So guessing weather has alot to do with some symptoms and IF only they could talk.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom