Bawk_Choy

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2020
Hello! I'm new to BYC. I thought I would share some pictures of my four hybrid chicks that are about 5.5 weeks old, so you can enjoy guessing their genders and breeds with me. Parents are all pure breeds, and chicks are hybrids.

Chick 1:
Breed: Blue Andalusian and Ameraucana (only chick I know the breed for sure)

She has a black and yellow comb, and black legs. Her feathers are black with slight lacing that show brown in the sun. She is starting to get her cheek feathers in.
DSC_2175.JPG

Chick 2:
Breed: unknown (maybe Blue Jersey Giant and ???)

She has a black single comb, slate gray legs, and nice blue feathers. Some of her wing feathers are white.
DSC_2169.JPG

Chick 3:
Breed: unknown (similar to chick 2)

She had black legs and a black comb (guessing pea). She is darker than chick 2, but lighter then chick 1. She is slightly larger with thicker legs and was a lot slower to feather out. I thought she was a roo, but no red comb or wattles so I'm thinking a pullet now. She could be Blue Jersey Giant, which I read take longer to mature.
IMG_20200720_182811.jpg

Chick 4:
Breed: unknown. Guessing Speckled Sussex and ??? (Ameraucana or EE)

She has white legs, and a flat comb (pea?). The comb has just started to show some red, but I'm still thinking pullet. The majority of her feathers look like a Specked Sussex, except some brown wing feathers and her fancy "necklace". The lacing on her neck and flat comb make me think Ameraucana.

DSC_2163.JPG

I'd love to hear your guesses too!

They are just approaching the age when they can be sexed more easily. The bottom one is a male by that pink comb. Generally males will pink up at around 6 weeks, and than get red by 8 weeks.

The second one from the bottom has very thick legs, so that may be male as well.

Hello! I'm new to BYC. I thought I would share some pictures of my four hybrid chicks that are about 5.5 weeks old, so you can enjoy guessing their genders and breeds with me. Parents are all pure breeds, and chicks are hybrids.

Chick 1:
Breed: Blue Andalusian and Ameraucana (only chick I know the breed for sure)

She has a black and yellow comb, and black legs. Her feathers are black with slight lacing that show brown in the sun. She is starting to get her cheek feathers in.
View attachment 2255372

Chick 2:
Breed: unknown (maybe Blue Jersey Giant and ???)

She has a black single comb, slate gray legs, and nice blue feathers. Some of her wing feathers are white.
View attachment 2255389

Chick 3:
Breed: unknown (similar to chick 2)

She had black legs and a black comb (guessing pea). She is darker than chick 2, but lighter then chick 1. She is slightly larger with thicker legs and was a lot slower to feather out. I thought she was a roo, but no red comb or wattles so I'm thinking a pullet now. She could be Blue Jersey Giant, which I read take longer to mature.
View attachment 2255397

Chick 4:
Breed: unknown. Guessing Speckled Sussex and ??? (Ameraucana or EE)

She has white legs, and a flat comb (pea?). The comb has just started to show some red, but I'm still thinking pullet. The majority of her feathers look like a Specked Sussex, except some brown wing feathers and her fancy "necklace". The lacing on her neck and flat comb make me think Ameraucana.

View attachment 2255396

I'd love to hear your guesses too!
The last is male.

Back
Top Bottom