Issues reintroducing chicken

jennyman

Songster
Apr 9, 2020
I had a sick chicken (Josh female) who needed to be separated for about a week. She is in a flock of 4 chickens who have lived together for 4 years. She moved back into the run in a large dog crate. Other chickens didn't really bother her in the crate. On supervised visits 2 of the 3 other chickens would jump on her and peck her. They would stop when I shook something etc. Last night I was so excited. My former sick chicken ran up and roosted for the night. No issues! Except in the morning I saw on the cameras she was attacked again. I ran down and put her back in the crate. I'm not sure what to do. I'm thinking next steps is to lock up the two bullies? Help!

How long was she separated for? Was she kept in line of sight of the others, or completely removed from the area? If she was removed from area, she probably needs to be reintegrated in like a new bird... how long did you have her and the crate back with the others before allowing them to have contact?

BarnyardChaos had a good question too - was this just a bit of pecking and feather pulling, or were they just cornering her and beating her up?

Was she viciously attacked, like feathers pulled and bloodied? Or was it over in a few seconds with no injuries?
Hello! Feathers pulled but not pulled out. No blood. Over quick but ongoing with two much bigger chickens. It's been going on for almost a week.

How long was she separated for? Was she kept in line of sight of the others, or completely removed from the area? If she was removed from area, she probably needs to be reintegrated in like a new bird... how long did you have her and the crate back with the others before allowing them to have contact?

BarnyardChaos had a good question too - was this just a bit of pecking and feather pulling, or were they just cornering her and beating her up?
Hello! She was completely separated for about a week. We weren't sure if she was contagious. She was in the large crate for a day or two before contact. It was more beating her up.

Put two of the worst in the crate. Then let her and the other one roam the coop/run. Now there might be a bit of bluster. But one on one, it should settle quickly.

Then after 3-4 days, add one of the birds in the crate to the twosome. I am expecting that this bird would be aggressive if she was not outnumbered, but with introducing to two, should settle her jets.

That is the problem, when you add the one bird, back to a flock of 3, they have forgotten her, she is in a strange place with strange birds, and everything attacks.

I have found it helpful in this situation, to lock everything else out of the coop/run, and let her wander around without being chased. Then letting the others in as close to dark as possible. Or to lock up everything but one other bird. Let them work together, until they are a group, then add to them.

Mrs K

Put two of the worst in the crate. Then let her and the other one roam the coop/run. Now there might be a bit of bluster. But one on one, it should settle quickly.

Then after 3-4 days, add one of the birds in the crate to the twosome. I am expecting that this bird would be aggressive if she was not outnumbered, but with introducing to two, should settle her jets.

That is the problem, when you add the one bird, back to a flock of 3, they have forgotten her, she is in a strange place with strange birds, and everything attacks.

I have found it helpful in this situation, to lock everything else out of the coop/run, and let her wander around without being chased. Then letting the others in as close to dark as possible. Or to lock up everything but one other bird. Let them work together, until they are a group, then add to them.

Mrs K

Mrs K
Hello! Thank you for your advice. When you isolate the two bullies do you allow them all to free range together? Still having trouble with them attacking her even though we have been isolating? Not super consistent though to be honest

I had a sick chicken (Josh female) who needed to be separated for about a week. She is in a flock of 4 chickens who have lived together for 4 years. She moved back into the run in a large dog crate. Other chickens didn't really bother her in the crate. On supervised visits 2 of the 3 other chickens would jump on her and peck her. They would stop when I shook something etc. Last night I was so excited. My former sick chicken ran up and roosted for the night. No issues! Except in the morning I saw on the cameras she was attacked again. I ran down and put her back in the crate. I'm not sure what to do. I'm thinking next steps is to lock up the two bullies? Help!
I had a hen who was bullied and badly injured once. I kept her in a run/coop within sight of the original coop until she healed. Then I opened her run to the big yard where the other hens were and she tried to get back in the flock. She was attacked again, so I put her back in the run another week and tried again. Once again, she was attacked. Finally on the third attempt, she stood up for herself and joined the others for good. It took about 2 months. However, I did have one who joined too early and was killed inside the coop before I let them out the next day. Be careful.

Back
Top Bottom