Guinea Breathing with mouth only.. Stopped eating & drinking.2 days ago..

My thoughts... My wife tells me she feels the crop is blocked.. Makes sense too.. I am just too dumb to find it.. Shes placing my hand on it šŸ˜ But it just feels like wings and bones to me.. To play it safe and I remember one of your 1st few questions was about the crop of which at that time I was lost.šŸ˜.. I found a vet who claims she can help me tomorrow before noon time.. I will keep you posted.. I stopped giving liquids today because it really started to cause him to gurgle and fight to shake it out.. I don't want him to get it in his lungs... I know one thing.. I called about 7 vets today untill I found one that has an avery vet that does the crop proceedure and I was lucky at that..

Hmmm. Would he drink water independently from a container placed in front of him? Or like offering it on a spoon. I would be afraid of giving water/forcing water because birds can easily aspirate which can worsen breathing issues. So it sounds like he is having labored breathing and has low endurance/needs to lay down often. How does his belly look? Like does his belly (under the breast bone) feel squishy and full of fluid? It could be ascites:
https://www.dsm.com/anh/challenges/supporting-animal-health/ascites-in-chickens.html#

If his breathing is the main issue and you think it's viral or bacterial you can:

If your birds are being stressed supplement him with multi vitamins or probiotics. Both these products will give your birds a boost which will be invaluable to helping them resist disease or recover.

At home remedies include adding garlic and turmeric to the feed, there is evidence to support the use of oregano oil which contains natural antibiotic properties. We have also found dabbing a small amount of Vicks on the beak in front of the nostrils can be helpful to clear congested sinuses and open the airways.

Sick birds ideally need to be kept in a quiet warm environment until fully recovered.

https://www.dineachook.com.au/blog/chicken-wheezing-identify-chicken-respiratory-disease/

Convince him to willing take fluid even if it's juice or sugar water (hide the other supplements in there) fighting is too stressful for you and the bird.
He serms contended untill I start giving the drops to drink.. He quit drinking on his own and I have watermellon juice right at his beak area and this guineas go crazy over watermellon.. Hes strong yet to fight me and hes strong to flap his wings so I am sure he will be ok till I get him to the vet tomorrow.. The appointment is between 9:30 and 10:30 AM Alan

He serms contended untill I start giving the drops to drink.. He quit drinking on his own and I have watermellon juice right at his beak area and this guineas go crazy over watermellon.. Hes strong yet to fight me and hes strong to flap his wings so I am sure he will be ok till I get him to the vet tomorrow.. The appointment is between 9:30 and 10:30 AM Alan
Vets telling me xray says pneumonia and dehydrated.. wants me to inject under skin to hydrate at home and give antibiotic tetracycline if my memory is correct... still in waiting room nothing done yet but xray

Back
Top Bottom