Rooster mouth breathing and green poo

Laven09

Hatching
May 4, 2023
My one year old silkie rooster Mr Boyfriend has been isolating himself the past few days standing in a far corner. Today he started mouth breathing, opening and closing his beak with each breath. No sounds. He also has some pasty pea green poo on his butt. Inside his mouth the roof has 2 brown lines. Other than that his eyes are clear, he can stand and sit. He didn’t resist me though when I picked him up and he usually does. Unclear yet if he is eating/drinking normally. I put him inside for the night.

The flock right now spends their days inside a plastic hoophouse with leaf litter and nights in a coop. They eat fermented feed. Everyone else seems fine. I am in zone 6 and it has been 15-40F.

He is so sweet with the ladies. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_9316.jpeg
    IMG_9316.jpeg
    552.6 KB · Views: 26
I would try to clean up his vent in the morning. You may have been seeing his choanal slit in the roof of his beak. Was there any mucus or other material inside the beak? What has he been fed? Has he been wormed recently? Have you added any new birds recently? Does he have any bubbles/foam in his eyes, sneezing, or rattles/crackles when he breathes?

I would try to clean up his vent in the morning. You may have been seeing his choanal slit in the roof of his beak. Was there any mucus or other material inside the beak? What has he been fed? Has he been wormed recently? Have you added any new birds recently? Does he have any bubbles/foam in his eyes, sneezing, or rattles/crackles when he breathes?
I tried to wipe his vent with some wet paper towels. No mucus or spots or lumps in the beak. The birds get a mix of whole seed fermented grains plus mealworms and nutribalance. Not sure how much he has been eating though. Early January they had garlic and elderberry in their waters for a week. No new birds. No bubbles/foam, no sneezing, no rattles/crackles. He is super silent just opening and closing his beak to breathe.

Reading some older posts, it seems like the green poo is bile due to possible liver damage or bacterial infection. I will try to find some antibiotics for him. And will try to get him to eat some eggs

Green poop can be from not eating enough, and bile. If you can bring him inside where it it warm, you could soak his bottom in warm soapy water, giving it a wash and rinse. Then blow him dry after towel drying. If he has extra fluff, you can trim some to keep it cleaner. You might try stopping the fermented grains and feeding an all flock dry or moistened feed. Probiotics or some plain yogurt may also help.

Thank you @Eggcessive. Unfortunately our boy didn’t make it through the first night :( As much as I am curious to know what happened, I also am feeling right now like burying him whole. He was a dear, sweet boy and we will miss him a lot.

Thank you @Eggcessive. Unfortunately our boy didn’t make it through the first night :( As much as I am curious to know what happened, I also am feeling right now like burying him whole. He was a dear, sweet boy and we will miss him a lot.
I am sorry that you lost him. I have learned a lot about my chickens when I do a necropsy after one dies. The state vet is the place place to get one, since they take tissue samples for testing as well as looking at the organs. But I understand if you would rather bury him?

Back
Top Bottom