Guinea Colors - Breeding

Full pearling and gray are dominant genes. Lavenders are blue based which is recessive and they are fully pearled which is dominant. Barring any hidden recessive genes in either the pearl gray or the lavender the results will be all pearl grays. It doesn't matter which is the hen and which is the cock the results will be the same as long as there aren't any hidden recessive genes.

If there are hidden recessive genes, then most anything can happen.

I see. Thanks!

Older thread, yes but wonderful! I've got some pearl grays with white wing feathers- is this any sort of indication of anything? Hidden genetics perhaps or something to do with the hatchery breeders? I happened upon some lavs and fingers crossed I get some pied and chocolate keets today! I want a surprise batch next year :D

Older thread, yes but wonderful! I've got some pearl grays with white wing feathers- is this any sort of indication of anything? Hidden genetics perhaps or something to do with the hatchery breeders? I happened upon some lavs and fingers crossed I get some pied and chocolate keets today! I want a surprise batch next year :D
To the best of my knowledge a few white flight feathers on Pearl Grays is relatively common and other than an indication that said guinea has a few white flight feathers is not indicative of anything else. It does not appear to be related to the white color gene that causes white or pied guineas.

Can anyone till me what colors these will be:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    525 KB · Views: 7
The one on the left is a Pearl Gray and the one on the right is a Royal Purple.

Thank you @R2elk that is what I thought as per pictures I had studied online, but I was holding out for something a little more rare LOL...
You don't happen to know how to sex them do you? I have been studying them looking for different mannerisms to see if I could figure it out but no such luck yet. (Their call is still just a peep, not distinctive yet) I am thinking (do to my luck so far on this journey) that they are probably both males. but I am sooo hoping for females as my currant ratio is 2 female/3 male. :fl

Thank you @R2elk that is what I thought as per pictures I had studied online, but I was holding out for something a little more rare LOL...
You don't happen to know how to sex them do you? I have been studying them looking for different mannerisms to see if I could figure it out but no such luck yet. (Their call is still just a peep, not distinctive yet) I am thinking (do to my luck so far on this journey) that they are probably both males. but I am sooo hoping for females as my currant ratio is 2 female/3 male. :fl
Over the years there have been many claims from people saying that they can sex keets. I have not been able to substantiate any of those claims. At six weeks old I have had a fair amount of success vent sexing them. Prior to that age it is my belief that the sex organs are not well enough developed and they are just too tiny to not risk injuring them by vent sexing. I wait until they are buckwheating to determine the hens which some people say happens for them at 4 weeks old but I have never noticed it in mine until they are 6 weeks old. The proven fact is that if it lays an egg, it is a hen.

Good luck.

Sorry but how do u know royal purple vs pied? I've got a bunch similar and the woman said they were pied. And chocolate pied and chocolate. I can see the difference between chocolate and grey but my little grey pies look like the one in the pic

Sorry but how do u know royal purple vs pied? I've got a bunch similar and the woman said they were pied. And chocolate pied and chocolate. I can see the difference between chocolate and grey but my little grey pies look like the one in the pic
The Chocolates and Royal Purples are only partially dotted. As such they have squiggly lines on the top of their heads unlike the Pearl Gray which have a broad center stripe on the top of their heads. A broad center stripe with the white on the face and belly (may or may not have white wings) will most likely be a pied. It can be really difficult to distinguish a pied Royal Purple from a Royal Purple keet since both will have white on the face and white wings and belly. The difference there would be that the white would come higher up on the head making the dark part of the head pretty narrow.

Chocolate keet Royal Purple keet Pied Pearl Gray keet 1 Pied Pearl Gray keet 2

If you post a picture, make sure that it is taken from above giving a good look at the top of the head and also post a side view.

Back
Top Bottom