Guinea fowl laying

I have guinea hens who are now laying. I have them cooped as I just got them two weeks ago. I ha e 4 hens bit pretty sure only two laying as of yet. One lays her eggs right on the floor where ever she is standing and the hides them in the nesting boxes on the floor. I keep picking up the stragglers and adding them to the nesting boxes With the others. Janet told me they would lay alot of eggs before setting, but my concern is, is that it's gotten colder and will the eggs go bad or should I pull them and incubate them?

Last edited:
Just my 2 cents here...I am no expert. I only have experience with guineas for a year. I have yet to incorporate newbies in with my existing flock of 9 that started as eggs that I hatched through incubation. We had one guinea previously, the only one to hatch out of shipped eggs. She mingled with all my birds. One day, another guinea appeared. It was a neighbors from a few properties down the road from us. This guinea chose to remain at our property. My guinea hen did not want anything to do with it. It turned out to be another female. They never meshed.

My parents have had several "incorporations" of adults and keets. Our conversations about their behavior have shown me that keets flock together with their hatches. The new adults brought in seem to either remain as they were introduced, as they flocked from their previous home, and occasionally are accepted into an existing flock. Though we are talking about pastured guineas on many acres, not cooped or small acerage.

FYI...My chicks that hatch with my ducklings flock together until breeding tells them they have to seek out their kind....though I did have some roosters that liked to mate my ducks. That's just a bit of info that I have experienced. I have 2 young pullets that flock with my ducks that hatched at the same time. Ducks breed sooner than my chicken breeds. Guineas are far different from chickens and ducks though.

I would say, some may and some may not. It just depends on your existing flock, environment, conditions and how many males to females you have. Many variables to determine absolutely.

I am just giving my experience and knowledge. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom