GUINEA FOWL THREAD

Hopefully you've found a new home for your Guineas, but if you are in a pinch, I can take them. I am about 4 hours from you in southeastern Iowa. I can't drive all 4 hours to get them, but if you could meet me halfway in like Springfield., that would be doable. I have 7 other Guineas but could keep them penned up until they got used to their new home. Let me know if this works or if you!

I have
Hopefully you've found a new home for your Guineas, but if you are in a pinch, I can take them. I am about 4 hours from you in southeastern Iowa. I can't drive all 4 hours to get them, but if you could meet me halfway in like Springfield., that would be doable. I have 7 other Guineas but could keep them penned up until they got used to their new home. Let me know if this works or if you!
I have found someone thank you very much though

I have been raising chickens, but just found a rattlesnake in my backyard and would like to add a Guinea to my flock to protect my toddlers. Would a single Guinea be happy with hens? Are they as loud as roosters?

I currently have 6 guineas, had guineas for 2 years now, and the one thing I'd say about them is they act as a unit. They always hang out together while the chickens spread out throughout the property. But the guineas stick together in their little unit. So may I suggest getting at least 2, more if possible. I love my gunieas, but they do get rough with the chickens, until the chickens learn to submit to them, at least.
Best of luck!

I have been raising chickens, but just found a rattlesnake in my backyard and would like to add a Guinea to my flock to protect my toddlers. Would a single Guinea be happy with hens? Are they as loud as roosters?

Guineas are a flock bird. It is not recommended to add a single guinea to a flock of chickens. If you want something to keep the snakes away, my suggestion is to add turkeys to your flock.

Guineas make far more noise than a rooster ever thought of making, especially when the hens are buck-wheating constantly calling for a mate.

I would get at least 3 or 4 guineas. You will probably have more success integrating them with your chickens if you get them as keets and raise them up together. They do a good job of keeping an eye out for predators and help guard the house, property, coop, and other members of the flock; however, they are loud, especially the males when there is perceived danger. Having said that, they are good at reducing bug and tick populations, picking pests and bugs out of the garden without destroying your plants, and sound the alarm if any danger is around. I really like having mine and do not regret getting them.

Hi there! I just bought my fisrt keets and an so excited to have them. Do you all recommend keeping guineas in pairs, make female, or how many? I think I want to keep 4. They will free roam when possible for bug control. We do have one dog outside, but based on how he acts towards wild ducks and cranes, he shouldnt bother them.

When we build out coop, how large for 7 to 8 burds, as we also have some chickens we want to raise for eggs.

Thanks

Hi there! I just bought my first keets and am so excited to have them. Do you all recommend keeping guineas in pairs, make female, or how many? I think I want to keep 4. They will free roam when possible for bug control. We do have one dog outside, but based on how he acts towards wild ducks and cranes, he shouldn't bother them.

When we build out coop, how large for 7 to 8 birds, as we also have some chickens we want to raise for eggs.

Thanks
Guineas are a flock bird and do best in large numbers. I recommend keeping a minimum of 10 guineas. Most people try to keep an equal number of males and females. I have read of people who seem to successfully keep one male for five females.

Recommend coop space is 4 sq. ft. of unobstructed floor space per each guinea. Space occupied by feeders, waterers, etc. doesn't count toward the 4 sq. ft. per bird.

Guineas prefer high roosting places so do better in tall coops versus short coops.

In my experience dogs find guineas delicious. Just because your dog doesn't bother the wild ducks and cranes does not mean he won't bother the guineas without being trained to leave them alone.

I have had guineas and chickens together and because of my experiences I now house my guineas separately. I do not recommend housing guineas and chickens together.

I currently have 7 Guineas, but have had as few as 4 and have had more than 20 at times. I do not have any chickens, so I cannot speak to how they live together. My Guineas free range during the day and roost inside a coop at night. They do tend to do better in a little larger flock....I certainly wouldn't do any less than 4. They tend to be a little more bold in a larger flock, even if it means their demise! When I had over 10, they would stand up to fox and other predators and get themselves eaten. Now that I have less, they tend to be a little more flighty and scared of things. I think a larger female to male ratio is better, as they tend to fight over the hens. Having said that, if you get keets, you can't really be choosy since you cannot tell the sex until they get a little older and start making more noise. I'm not sure about chickens, but Guinea tend to take a bit of time to learn where home is. I would keep them locked In their new coop for at least a few weeks so they don't wander off or start roosting in the trees at night and get picked off by an owl or something. (Some people say 4-6 weeks, but mine have done ok after 2-3.) As for food, I would make sure to get them 22 percent game bird crumble as they need a higher protein diet than chickens. Good luck on your Guineas....they do a great job in taking care of bugs and ticks!

Back
Top Bottom